52 amp oven wire size

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Note that your spec sheet shows 12kw of heat + 2 motors.
edit
the install manual does show 52 amps per phase, I must have misread

Last edited:

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
i need to install a 240 single phase 52 amp oven. . is it safe to assume the wire terminals are rated 75c so i can use a 6/3 on a 60 amp breaker? i dont see a wire/breaker size in the specs.

Motors are a total of 2 amps, heat is a total of 50 amps.

Copper #6 THHN and a 60 amp breaker looks correct to me. AL #4 will also work.

Santa49

Occupation
retired
I think I understand the wire size calculation. 52 amps times 1.25 is 65 amps. #6 THHN is 65 amps. The OP indicated using a 6/3 cable and I'm assuming that to be NMSC. That would be #4 NMSC

I also have stuck in my mind that you can't load a breaker to 100% unless It's rated for 100%. I've always remembered that all breakers ( at least typical standard breakers) less than 600 amps are rated 100% until you installed it in an enclosure, then it's reduced to 80%. I don't think it's worded exactly like that, but I can remember it easier that way.

I would feel more comfortable with using a 70 amp breaker.

Someone jump in there a correct me if i'm wrong. I am more concerned with doing jobs correctly and code compliant than I am being right or wrong.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I think I understand the wire size calculation. 52 amps times 1.25 is 65 amps. #6 THHN is 65 amps. The OP indicated using a 6/3 cable and I'm assuming that to be NMSC. That would be #4 NMSC

I also have stuck in my mind that you can't load a breaker to 100% unless It's rated for 100%. I've always remembered that all breakers ( at least typical standard breakers) less than 600 amps are rated 100% until you installed it in an enclosure, then it's reduced to 80%. I don't think it's worded exactly like that, but I can remember it easier that way.

I would feel more comfortable with using a 70 amp breaker.

Someone jump in there a correct me if i'm wrong. I am more concerned with doing jobs correctly and code compliant than I am being right or wrong.

The 125%, or 80% breaker loading, is for continuous loads. An oven, being thermostatically controlled, is not a continuous load.

Status
Not open for further replies.