Demand factors for large computer centers

Status
Not open for further replies.

celovejoy

What demand factors sure be used when dealing with large computer rooms? What reference book did can you find the demand factor in?

__dan

Large IT is 'always on' with very little cycling on demand. There is some ramping up of draw if the machine is running a benchmark or burn in program, but normally very little variation in load as the machine load varies in software.

220.14 (A) or 220.87 (2): Carrying the load calc at nameplate, the nameplate is the power supply which can be several times larger than the running load. Using monitoring, measurement of the running load x 1.25, plus the added load is demand related.

Of course, if you have dual power cord, dual fed equipment, you have to allow for the added load when the other source goes down.

Last edited:

beanland

Past Experience

Past Experience

In a former life, I worked for a municipal utility with several computer centers. Their average monthly load factor was over 80%. Other than a little daily duty cycle variation for the chillers, racks of equipment run flat out 24x7. I would never assume less than 80% and since it could be 100% for several hours, you need to consider it continuous.

BJ Conner

Good POint

Good POint

The IT load part may be ~stable, but what about HVAC demand? [He asks while sweltering in this endless heat wave....]

When the temperature rises the servers start shutting down. VA load in server rooms was approaching 250-300 VA per square foot the last time I worked on a server farm. Turn off the AC for 15 minutes and you can bake pies on top of the racks. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.