Grounding electrode conductors question

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyleFowler

Occupation
Electrician
So I'm working on a job where we are adding a transfer switch and generator to an existing overhead feed outdoor service with an outdoor panel below the meterbase. We are mounting the transfer switch beside the meterbase and existing outdoor panel. My question is do the ground rod and water pipe grounding electrode conductors need to be moved into the transfer switch now that it going to become the new place where the grounding and grounded wires bond together? The ground rod grounding electrode wire is no big deal to move to the transfer switch but the water pipe grounding electrode wire was ran inside the walls and comes into the back of the outdoor panel and is not long enough to run into the transfer switch. I do understand that if the water pipe grounding electrode wire does need to be moved I would have to it per 250.64 (C) (1).

I ask this question because years ago I built an overhead feed service where the meterbase and main disconnect was outside and the panelboard was inside. When I got it inspected it failed because I ran my water pipe grounding electrode wire to the inside panel and not the outside disconnect. The inspector made me correctly splice the grounding electrode wire and run it to the outdoor disconnect. I never got a reason why other than he said grounding electrodes have to run uninterrupted to where the neutral and grounds bond together. At the time I just did as he asked and moved on always making sure to run the grounding electrode wires to where the neutral and grounding wires bond together on future jobs. This time I'd rather have it right the first time. Where is the code reference for what the inspector said? I looked in my code book but I'm not sure I'm finding it.

Thanks in advance!

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
The GEC does not have to run to the same place as the main bonding jumper (neutral to EGC bond) but it must be at or ahead of the service disconnecting means. It sounds like your transfer switch is your new service equipment; if so then yes, you have to move your GEC terminations.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
So I'm working on a job where we are adding a transfer switch and generator to an existing overhead feed outdoor service with an outdoor panel below the meterbase. We are mounting the transfer switch beside the meterbase and existing outdoor panel. My question is do the ground rod and water pipe grounding electrode conductors need to be moved into the transfer switch now that it going to become the new place where the grounding and grounded wires bond together? The ground rod grounding electrode wire is no big deal to move to the transfer switch but the water pipe grounding electrode wire was ran inside the walls and comes into the back of the outdoor panel and is not long enough to run into the transfer switch. I do understand that if the water pipe grounding electrode wire does need to be moved I would have to it per 250.64 (C) (1).

I ask this question because years ago I built an overhead feed service where the meterbase and main disconnect was outside and the panelboard was inside. When I got it inspected it failed because I ran my water pipe grounding electrode wire to the inside panel and not the outside disconnect. The inspector made me correctly splice the grounding electrode wire and run it to the outdoor disconnect. I never got a reason why other than he said grounding electrodes have to run uninterrupted to where the neutral and grounds bond together. At the time I just did as he asked and moved on always making sure to run the grounding electrode wires to where the neutral and grounding wires bond together on future jobs. This time I'd rather have it right the first time. Where is the code reference for what the inspector said? I looked in my code book but I'm not sure I'm finding it.

Thanks in advance!

Normally a GEC is run from the first service disconnect / overcurrent device MBJ

So, as not all T switches are alike, does it have an ocpd?

this could be an interesting thread Kyle

~RJ~

KyleFowler

Occupation
Electrician
Yes RJ the transfer switch has an OCPD and is the new service equipment disconnecting means.

So am I correct in thinking that the revelant codes to my question are 250.64 (D) (2) (1,2,3) which in a nutshell seems to say the GEC should terminate either at the service disconnect enclosure or any suppy side bonding jumper (for example in the meterbase)? If so that clears up alot for me!

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Yes RJ the transfer switch has an OCPD and is the new service equipment disconnecting means.

So am I correct in thinking that the revelant codes to my question are 250.64 (D) (2) (1,2,3) which in a nutshell seems to say the GEC should terminate either at the service disconnect enclosure or any suppy side bonding jumper (for example in the meterbase)? If so that clears up alot for me!

I believe you're correct, in that GEC 'taps' can be used Kyle , it looks like 250.58 may back this up as well.

~RJ~

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer

Yes. Technically it should terminate to the neutral itself, or a neutral terminal bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.