What is the code on splicing in condulets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
Someone at work said you can only splice in T's but im pretty sure i read its aloud in any condulet.

Never heard the T's only rumor, but it is not ANY conduit body.
Here you go.

314.16(C)(2) With Splices, Taps, or Devices. Only those conduit
bodies that are durably and legibly marked by the manufacturer
with their volume shall be permitted to contain
splices, taps, or devices. The maximum number of conductors
shall be calculated in accordance with 314.16(B). Conduit
bodies shall be supported in a rigid and secure manner.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
370-6(c) in the 1990 code said in part: "Conduit bodies having provisions for less than three conduit entries shall not contain splices, taps or devices unless they comply with the provisions of 370-6(b) and are supported in a rigid and secure manner". 6(b) required a cubic inch marking on the conduit body and that the total volume of the conductors not exceed the capacity marked on the fitting.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Not very realistic in line voltage applications. If you have small conductors in a large conduit body then maybe.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Not very realistic in line voltage applications. If you have small conductors in a large conduit body then maybe.

Why do you say that? Line voltage size conductors can easily be spliced in smaller size condulets.

Roger

iMuse97

Why do you say that? Line voltage size conductors can easily be spliced in smaller size condulets.

And if you upsize your condulet with a couple reducer bushings, you can splice them even more easily. :D How about a 1 1/2" C on a 1" pipe, for instance? I always like that option, like Chris mentioned.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician

Roger

Right now I'm looking at a ?" PVC LB. Marked 4.6cu/in. So If I wanted to put a joint on three #14's I'm at 6 cubes. How does this work in the real world?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Right now I'm looking at a ?" PVC LB. Marked 4.6cu/in. So If I wanted to put a joint on three #14's I'm at 6 cubes. How does this work in the real world?
As imuse said, upsize the condulet say to a 3/4 and it works pretty well in the real world. Remember devices can even be installed in condulets so a splice certainly wouldn't be a problem.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.