SE ATS and service lateral

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I intercept an existing system service lateral and install a new service entrance rated automatic transfer switch and a new generator can I maintain a bond between neutral ground at the existing service entrance switchboard or do I have to change to the service entrance automatic transfer switch and then would I have to install equipment ground condoctors in that portion of the existing service lateral between the new ATS and the existing switchboard since that would then become a feeder and not a service lateral or can I maintain a bond for a neutral ground at the existing service entrance switchboard with the service lateral from the service transformer to the existing switchboard via the ATS?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you transfer switch is service rated which it should be then the service equipment stops there. Any conductors from there must have an equipment grounding conductor. You would also need to separate the grounds and neutrals in the existing panel... If I am reading you correctly

Btw, welcome to the furum

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
S.P., welcome to the forum.

Yes, the new ATS becomes the service disconnect, and everything past it must be un-bonded. Plus, existing 3-wire major-appliance circuits, receptacles, cords, etc. are supposed to be converted to 4-wire circuits, receptacles, cords, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.