Discouraged but smiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
A few months ago I talked to a Dairy that was using large motor to maintain water pressure. I explained the possible advantage of a VFD. Significant savings if calculations were correct. I figured they dropped it. Nope, well/pump installer got the job. :weeping:

They let the smoke out of two motors before they got it right. :D

kwired

Electron manager
A few months ago I talked to a Dairy that was using large motor to maintain water pressure. I explained the possible advantage of a VFD. Significant savings if calculations were correct. I figured they dropped it. Nope, well/pump installer got the job. :weeping:

They let the smoke out of two motors before they got it right. :D

Submersible or other pump type?

Still funny that a well guy (which most think they are electrical experts) needed three tries though.

kwired

Electron manager
The first was an older motor, maybe marginal. They get points for that one, but the second?
bet they made owner pay for first replacement motor, then it got harder to say they did no wrong.

Meanwhile you look like someone that knows what you are doing, whether true or not:)

kwired

Electron manager
My laugh recently was on a soft starter that was tripping out, motor wouldn't even turn before it tripped. Never went to site, maintenance man called with questions. Figured out over the phone it was tripping on "overload" which was not motor overload but rather soft starter protecting itself from overloading current. I told him to check for mechanical issues. This is a high speed high inertia fan, runs faster than the driving motor, soft start needed so it don't go through so many belts. If you tighten belts enough so they don't slip when starting then it goes through more bearings.

When I talked to him later, he said they recently had a company replace some bearings and then balance the blower wheel. They never tightened the hub mounting it to shaft and blower slid to end of shaft and was rubbing on another component and it couldn't accelerate at all. :blink:

You would think that would have given them some issues with balancing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.