Tanning bed/GFCI circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Is there anything in the code that deals with GFCI requirements for tanning beds? Is it a common practice to wire these to a GFCI protected circuit? Thanks.

GUNNING

voltage ..read the instructions.

voltage ..read the instructions.

No GFCI in the instructions BUT the voltages are important. The boilerplate has only one voltage. Make it so. They have a lot of fancy solid state ballasts and switching which requires the correct voltage levels. All the beds I have seen have a transformer, but no GFI. :cool:

renosteinke

Someone buys a $5000 tanning bed, and they're going to sweat over a $15 device? Or, even, a $90 breaker? What am I missing?

You might be stuck with the $90 breaker anyway, if the new circuit has to be AFCI.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Someone buys a $5000 tanning bed, and they're going to sweat over a $15 device? Or, even, a $90 breaker? What am I missing?

You might be stuck with the $90 breaker anyway, if the new circuit has to be AFCI.

When he said tanning bed, I just "assumed", for a tanning salon. A personal bed never even crossed my mind.:huh:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I installed a circuit for a tanning bed. The bed came with a buck/boost transformer, and as has been stated, the voltage has to be correct with little tolerance. There was nothing in the spec sheet about GFCI protection. If a non-auto transformer was used I wouldn't think a fault on the load side would trip a GFCI breaker anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.