GROUND STUDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I say this on a service switchgear elevation drawing(I'm not working on it). What are these ground studs? Are they ground rods?I have never seen that before(not like I have seen a lot of these drawings).

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 3

bphgravity

They are likely not ground rods.

As BOB indicates in his post, it could be a "made-stud" to make an external grounding connection to an enclosure or structure. Ground studs are sometimes used to make connections to a counterpoise / ground ring system.

Manufactured ground studs are also available. Fore instance: http://www.alcoa.com/global/en/products/product.asp?prod_id=458

I have seen some manufacturer's indicate ground studs can be used to discharge electrostatic charges on dielectric materials. I am not too sure about that...

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Are these studs usually provided by the gear guy or "others". Thanks. Zog the link is blocked for me, I will check at my home computer. How are these installed? THanks.

zog

THey can be speced in new gear, or installed in the field, pretty simple to do, we sometimes install them for free for our customers that have us test thier MV gear on a regular basis because it saves us time in the future and is safer than using normal ground clamps (They will not come off)

It is simply a bolt that has a small trailer hitch on it, it replaces the normal bolt in the bus. They usually have a rubber boot over them with a hole in it so you can remove the boot with your shotgun. When you need to ground the gear you remove the boot, put your grounds on and tighten them down all using a shotgun.

cha_grounding.gif

Last edited:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
It is simply a bolt that has a small trailer hitch on it, it replaces the normal bolt in the bus. They usually have a rubber boot over them with a hole in it so you can remove the boot with your shotgun. When you need to ground the gear you remove the boot, put your grounds on and tighten them down all using a shotgun.

I've seen a .22 cal used in construction, but what is a "shotgun"?:huh:

zog

I've seen a .22 cal used in construction, but what is a "shotgun"?:huh:

An insulated hot stick with a slide action lever that moves a hook open, closed, or withdrawn on the end to allow for grabbing, holding, and tightening protective grounds. A must have tool for any HV worker. When you change positions it looks and sounds like a pump action shotgun, hence the name.
http://jlmatthews.com/store/Hot-Shotgun.htm

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
An insulated hot stick with a slide action lever that moves a hook open, closed, or withdrawn on the end to allow for grabbing, holding, and tightening protective grounds. A must have tool for any HV worker. When you change positions it looks and sounds like a pump action shotgun, hence the name.
http://jlmatthews.com/store/Hot-Shotgun.htm

I think I've seen Linesman use them but didn't know what they were called. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.