emt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Why would you do that? I bet Florida may have an amendment on it and it sounds like a bad idea. The nec allows emt in concrete but....

358.10 Uses Permitted.
(A) Exposed and Concealed. The use of EMT shall be permitted for both exposed and concealed work.
(B) Corrosion Protection. Ferrous or nonferrous EMT, elbows, couplings, and fittings shall be permitted to be installed in concrete, in direct contact with the earth, or in areas subject to severe corrosive influences where protected by corrosion protection and approved as suitable for the condition.
(C) Wet Locations. All supports, bolts, straps, screws, and so forth shall be of corrosion-resistant materials or pro

ceb58

Why would you do that? I bet Florida may have an amendment on it and it sounds like a bad idea. The nec allows emt in concrete but....

Here they will not let you get away with it on the ground floor. I had a customer who wanted to run conduit in his garage/shop and do it him self to save money. I told him to run PVC but he wanted to learn how to bend 90's and such. After laughing at him and throwing up my hands he ran EMT. The inspector told him the only way he would pass it was if he painted the EMT with roofing tar. The customer called the Dept. of Insurance, and for those of us who know who Ron Chilton is, got Ron on the phone and told him what was going on. Ron told the customer that if the local inspector was going to allow it on the ground floor with tar on it he was lucky and the inspector should have made him tear it out. But if it were on a second floor or above where it was not in contact with the earth it was OK.

jumper

Here they will not let you get away with it on the ground floor. I had a customer who wanted to run conduit in his garage/shop and do it him self to save money. I told him to run PVC but he wanted to learn how to bend 90's and such. After laughing at him and throwing up my hands he ran EMT. The inspector told him the only way he would pass it was if he painted the EMT with roofing tar. The customer called the Dept. of Insurance, and for those of us who know who Ron Chilton is, got Ron on the phone and told him what was going on. Ron told the customer that if the local inspector was going to allow it on the ground floor with tar on it he was lucky and the inspector should have made him tear it out. But if it were on a second floor or above where it was not in contact with the earth it was OK.

:)

jumper

Not allowed at the grade level without supplementary corrosion protection. 300.6 A 3!!!

From the UL white book FJMX

Galvanized steel electrical metallic tubing installed in concrete on grade or
above generally requires no supplementary corrosion protection. Galvanized
steel electrical metallic tubing in concrete slab below grade level may
require supplementary corrosion protection.

In general, galvanized steel electrical metallic tubing in contact with soil
requires supplementary corrosion protection. Where galvanized steel electrical
metallic tubing without supplementary corrosion protection extends
directly from concrete encasement to soil burial, severe corrosive effects are
likely to occur on the metal in contact with the soil.

Status
Not open for further replies.