Transformer in Server Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npstewart

We need to add a estimated 30 KVA (480-3>208-3) dry type transformer to a server room. We are planning on putting it above a return plenum suspended ceiling. The transformer will be fed from a existing generator panel.

My only concern about this installation is that im worried about some type of EMF interference between the transformer and server equipment. My first thought is that 30 KVA would have a relatively low effect or more likely no effect. I just keep picturing these invisible Gauss lines penetrating the ceiling :)

Anyone have a opinion?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
All I can offer is the request I received from my counterpart in the IT/RCDD world, when my electric room was placed right next to his IDF room. He simply asked that I put any transformers on the far side of my room, and not along the wall that separated our rooms. We didn't do any math or other evaluation, to see whether the chosen transformer locations would impose too high an emf on his equipment. On that project, I can also add that the client's IT/RCDD person would have yelled and issued threats, if I had to audacity to suggest that I put one of my transformers into her room. I think that would be because she was protective of her turf, more than her having any concern over interferences.

Npstewart

Maybe the IT person should own a guass meter. The meter would only be useful after the transformer is already in. I like the shielding idea.

Im probably over-thinking this, but I would rather do that now, then have to worry about it later. This room is literally the only place for the transformer to go. The only other place I could think would be better would be to put it in the corridor right outside this room hung from the bottom of the roof deck if the ceiling height permits.

Npstewart

In lieu of a guass meter perhaps I could just use a old fashion compass. If the compass points at the ceiling and not at magnetic north, then we know we have a problem. :D

zog

In lieu of a guass meter perhaps I could just use a old fashion compass. If the compass points at the ceiling and not at magnetic north, then we know we have a problem. :D

You can use an old computer monitor, put it in the area of concern, turn on and rotate it 360 degrees, if the screen goes all wavy you are about the safe limit of 10mG.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Just use a transformer with an electrostatic shield, pretty common for this type of application.

I thought an electrostatic sheild sheilded the primary from the secondary (or vice versa). I'm not sure what benfit that would provide in this case??

Does the transformer serve loads in the server room?

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
We need to add a estimated 30 KVA (480-3>208-3) dry type transformer to a server room. We are planning on putting it above a return plenum suspended ceiling. The transformer will be fed from a existing generator panel.

My only concern about this installation is that im worried about some type of EMF interference between the transformer and server equipment. My first thought is that 30 KVA would have a relatively low effect or more likely no effect. I just keep picturing these invisible Gauss lines penetrating the ceiling :)

Anyone have a opinion?

go here:

http://www.rexpowermagnetics.com/products/product_electrostat.html

Volta

I assume you mean CAT5 cables carrying Ethernet, which is a transformer-isolated balanced line and will ignore any induced common-mode voltage.

Well, the cable may ignore induced voltages, but the data equipment may well be slowed down from various errors produced by it. The twists are not a perfect balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.