Fused disconnect necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is more of a design issue rather than a code question, but I have a panelboard that is rated for 25kAIC. I do not have the information about available fault current at the board, so I have to assume the worst.

I have equipment that I also do not know it's withstand rating, so it could be as little as 10kAIC. I am feeding the equipment from the aforementioned board.

Should I put in a fused disconnect for the equipment? Or will the short circuit fault protection provided by the breaker be sufficient to protect the equipment?

Thanks.

pete m.

You cannot make the assumption that current limiting fuses will afford the necessary protection for MCCB's. The manufacturer of the circuit breakers will have to consulted for series rating information whether it's a breaker - breaker or fuse - breaker protection scheme.

Pete

mbeatty

You cannot make the assumption that current limiting fuses will afford the necessary protection for MCCB's. The manufacturer of the circuit breakers will have to consulted for series rating information whether it's a breaker - breaker or fuse - breaker protection scheme.

Pete

I absolutely agree.
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.