GEC vs. bonding conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dana1028

In my scenario I have an unbroken conductor from the elect svc to the first electrode [rod]; there is a second conductor leaving the elect svc to a second electrode [water pipe], however this conductor is broken, i.e. spliced [standard wire nuts] before it terminates at the correct location on the water pipe [within 5' of entering the dwelling].

As I understand it: IF this second conductor had run from the 1st electrode to the 2nd electrode it would be considered a bonding conductor and thus could be spliced; but since it did originate in the svc panel and is running to the water pipe it is considered a grounding electrode conductor and cannot be spliced [using standard wire nuts].

Am I correct in my understanding? [I am wearing my inspector hat].

Thank you for any feedback.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I certainly could be mistaken, but, if the water pipe is being used as a grounding electrode, then the conductor routed to it would still be a grounding electrode conductor and must be installed without splice except as allowed by 250.64(C).
Provided the GEC to the rod is of sufficient size, the GEC to the water could also connect at the rod.

dana1028

Provided the GEC to the rod is of sufficient size, the GEC to the water could also connect at the rod.

The GEC to the rod is a #4 [svc = 200A - dwelling using T310.15(B)(6)]. - So yes, the electrician could save himself some wire by rerouting the water pipe conductor to the rod, thus changing it to a bonding conductor vs. a GEC. The rod is at the svc location so this should be simple enough to do.

jumper

The GEC to the rod is a #4 [svc = 200A - dwelling using T310.15(B)(6)]. - So yes, the electrician could save himself some wire by rerouting the water pipe conductor to the rod, thus changing it to a bonding conductor vs. a GEC. The rod is at the svc location so this should be simple enough to do.

Why is there only one rod?

dana1028

Why is there only one rod?

Just a local thing - I live in the San Fran Bay area and many, many municipalities only require 1 rod [I have gone to meetings indicating several locations have already been 'tested' for resistance and found 1 rod to be adequate - yes, I know each square inch of earth is different and can have different resistance, etc., etc.]. So, a lot of municipalities only require 1 rod. As an inspector I am not going to butt heads with any Building Official over this.

jumper

Just a local thing - I live in the San Fran Bay area and many, many municipalities only require 1 rod [I have gone to meetings indicating several locations have already been 'tested' for resistance and found 1 rod to be adequate - yes, I know each square inch of earth is different and can have different resistance, etc., etc.]. So, a lot of municipalities only require 1 rod. As an inspector I am not going to butt heads with any Building Official over this.

Okay, no prob. I would do the same.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You have two GEC's. GEC's must be without splice or spliced in a manner consistent with Article 250. A standard wire nut is NG.

Status
Not open for further replies.