Copper Ground Wire Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a situation in the field where a length of the copper ground wire, which is encased in the footer steel, was cut by thieves. There is a portion, 12"-18", remaining that goes into the footer. My question is, what is an acceptable method of attaching a new piece of copper wire to the existing wire so that it'll reach electrical meter base at the house?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
We have a situation in the field where a length of the copper ground wire, which is encased in the footer steel, was cut by thieves. There is a portion, 12"-18", remaining that goes into the footer. My question is, what is an acceptable method of attaching a new piece of copper wire to the existing wire so that it'll reach electrical meter base at the house?

250.64 (C) 1 2008 NEC

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I would use a "C" or "H" copper crimpet rather than a barrel splice. The barrel splice will pull out if you use enough force. With the "C" or"H" crimp, the wire will pull into before you pull it out of these splices.

jdsmith

A barrel, C, or H will perform well if installed with the proper crimping tool and dies. Long barrel lugs that take two crimps are better than standard barrel lugs that take one crimp.

Cadweld is OK, but the shot must be fairly new, not sitting on the supplier's shelf or in your van for a while, and must be prepared perfectly to get a solid joint without porosity. A number of facilities are preferring C or H compression connections instead of cadweld because we believe that between material quality and chance for installation error that we will get an overall better connection with the crimp.

Buck Parrish

That happened to us and will probably happen to many more mebers here.
The simplest method is to install a ground rod where your ufer ground is long enough to reach it. Connect it thier with an acorn then put another acorn on top and continue to the service:happyyes: nothing to it.
I owe credit to, I think it was Hurk for suggesting this when I asked the same question a year ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.