Routing all building wire from breaker panel to pull box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeddyT

I'm preparing to wire my detached garage, all surface mount wiring in EMT from a surface mount breaker panel. A friend of mine is a 20+ year journeyman electrician, and he offered to help me out. His suggestion to clean up the install was to mount a NEMA pull box close to the ceiling above the breaker panel and then branch off all of the individual circuits in 3/4" EMT from this pull box, along the ceiling to keep it out of the way. He suggested a pair of 1-1/2" conduit runs from the breaker panel to the pull box would be more than sufficient for all of my wiring needs, and every conduit fill calculator seems to agree.

What I don't understand is how this doesn't run afoul of conductor derating rules. Each of these 1-1/2" conduits (about 6' long) will have about 20 #12 and 9 #6 in it, so wouldn't these wires be derated to oblivion by the time they got to the pull box?

I've been reading up here (waaay too much...), and it sounds like exception 310.15 (A) (2) has me covered. Am I right?

I don't doubt my electrician's expertise, but I'm a "trust but verify" kind of guy, particularly after how every single other job I've subbed out has gone. Thanks in advance for any advice you all can give me.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.
This site is designed for:
  • Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.eminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.