WHEN do you need to bring a circuit, panel, home up to code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MWh_Pro

Hi There, I live in Colorado, my city enforces the NEC 2017 edition, and I am considering making improvements to my home. In the near future I would like to add a rooftop solar system. The house was built in 1967 and there are about 12x aluminum circuits ranging from #12 to #8 that came from the 1970's. If, say, I were to 1) install a solar system, or 2) add AFCI breakers to the panel as a stop-gap to protect against electrical fires on the AL circuits, would I need to bring part or all of the home up to the 2017 code? In general, what are the rules for when you need to make something code compliant? Do you just need to bring parts of the home up to code, or does any new work trigger a complete upgrade to the new code? Finally, what is the limit to which I can perform electrical work on my home, before I need to get the work permitted and inspected?

P.s. I acknowledge that a Google search will get me an answer, but, given the high quality of brains on this forum, and the relatively low-quality of information elsewhere, I really would prefer a response from a member here! Thanks so much! D

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am closing this thread in accordance with forum rules. This forum is intended for use by electricians and electrical contractors, inspectors, engineers, and vendors with their job-related duties. We are not allowed to provide how-to advice to persons who are not employed in this industry, or persons who do not perform electrical installation or maintenance as part of their jobs. Engineers are welcome to participate, but only if their questions do not involve attempts to perform their own electrical installation, troubleshooting, or maintenance work.

Status
Not open for further replies.