Modular takeoff and labor units

Status
Not open for further replies.

robwire

Ok I want to check my numbers,its been a while since i have done a modular and now I just got six of them sitting on my desk.

1 overhead temp pole
2 Paddle Fan outlets,fan assembley & installation (rear porch,sw whip is provided
3 5 inch recessed in front proch soffitt( sw leg is provided)
2 30 amp ac condensors 20 ft from panel
2 Gas furnaces 15 ft from panel
1 UG 200 amp meter and feed to exsiting panel Back to back
2 ground rods
1 water pipe ground
1 grounding bar for Phone and cable
33 ceiling lights to be installed
5 paddle fans to be installed
1 pull chain and GFI in crawlspace

Tie in wires house will be 2 stories with a 3 foot crawlspace

Any ideas for labor rates and how much would you try to sell this job for if you were going to do 5 more with a potentialy a lot more over ,steady work in this shitty economy.

So far I have 60 hours ( 2 men 3.78 days)
$400 in materials

GC had a falling out with his current EC (cheap hack) I got a word of mouth referal on this from the builders brother is a buddy of mine, Im not really bidding against anyone if my price is fair the houses are as good as mine.

CopperTone

if you are an EC - then why are you asking on this forum if anyone has any idea of labor rates?

Everyone one here has an idea of laobr rates . Don't You? do you know what it cost to run your business? do you know what you pay yourself or employees? do you know your profit margin?

Don't give low prices with the promise of more work - that is the oldest trick in the book - Tell him you will give him a great discount on the last house you do.

If you think you and a helper can do this in 4 days then budget for 4.5 or 5 days with planning, office work, picking up stock, etc.

Sounds like your material is double the $400 you estimated with mark up.

Man, don't give it away please.

Please stop with the "in this economy" excuse. If someone is building 5 houses and promises there is much more to come, then they have plenty of money to pay for building houses.

You won't stay in business long if you continue to under charge.

Good Luck

robwire

if you are an EC - then why are you asking on this forum if anyone has any idea of labor rates?

Everyone one here has an idea of laobr rates . Don't You? do you know what it cost to run your business? do you know what you pay yourself or employees? do you know your profit margin?

Don't give low prices with the promise of more work - that is the oldest trick in the book - Tell him you will give him a great discount on the last house you do.

If you think you and a helper can do this in 4 days then budget for 4.5 or 5 days with planning, office work, picking up stock, etc.

Sounds like your material is double the $400 you estimated with mark up.

Man, don't give it away please.

Please stop with the "in this economy" excuse. If someone is building 5 houses and promises there is much more to come, then they have plenty of money to pay for building houses.

You won't stay in business long if you continue to under charge.

Good Luck

Labor UNIT not rate

I made a mistake and ment unit not rate but now cannot edit it

Im not asking mark up or rates I am asking UNITS/man hours ????

How can you make comments like "you won't stay in business long if you continure to under charge" ? When I didn't even say how much i was charging?

Does anyone care to have a discussion about modular home's minus the attitude?

Last edited:

robwire

Where do you buy material from? I would like to start going to that supply house.

It is a modular

The only things that need to be supplied are minimal

1 ug/oh meter pan
12 feet 4/0 al with fittings to go back to back with the meter
50 ft 14/2
50 ft 10/2
2 ac disconnects with whips
1 pull chain
1 tamper proof gfi

thats less then 400 bucks with out markup ,which I didn't ask or include (before you get all snotty like the other guy)

cadpoint

Is this six(6) units in a star layout, for one Utility pole? Ok why is there thirty three (33)
Lights in a modular

Count once(1), or count six (6)...

Pain to most , A thorn to others, Playing alone at the house...

CopperTone

Sorry if you think I have an attitude - I do not. I am just sick of guys not knowing how to price a job and as a result end up doing it for 1/2 the price it should be. I'm not suggesting that you don't know what you are doing. The job you described is a pretty small job in my opinion. Maybe it is not for you. It shouldn't really take you more than 15 minutes to price it out based on other similar jobs you have done in the past. You should have a decent idea of material costs from purchasing the material before. Or call the supply house for an exact quote - add tax and mark up .

You should already know how long it takes to install a light fixture, wire a furnace, install a service, wire condensors, install recessed lights, install paddle fans, if you have done it before.

I just think if you need help on pricing this job, then you probably need more help than you think in all areas of your business.
Again, Sorry if you think I have an attitude - I don't.
I suppose at one time I didn't know how to price this out either - so maybe I do have an attitute. Sorry.

robwire

Sorry if you think I have an attitude - I do not. I am just sick of guys not knowing how to price a job and as a result end up doing it for 1/2 the price it should be. I'm not suggesting that you don't know what you are doing. The job you described is a pretty small job in my opinion. Maybe it is not for you. It shouldn't really take you more than 15 minutes to price it out based on other similar jobs you have done in the past. You should have a decent idea of material costs from purchasing the material before. Or call the supply house for an exact quote - add tax and mark up .

You should already know how long it takes to install a light fixture, wire a furnace, install a service, wire condensors, install recessed lights, install paddle fans, if you have done it before.

I just think if you need help on pricing this job, then you probably need more help than you think in all areas of your business.
Again, Sorry if you think I have an attitude - I don't.
I suppose at one time I didn't know how to price this out either - so maybe I do have an attitute. Sorry.

You do have an attitude. I mostly wanted to know what others have experienced as far as how long it takes to tie the sections together.

There really are 33 light fixtures it's a big modular,high end , and oceanfront.

This is why this place is like a morge, now I rember why I have only pst 40 times in five years

A couple a guys on a different forum gave me some thoughts and I'm in the ballpark,that was all I was looking for.

robwire

so you have a company. You pay taxes, insurance, gas ect.. ect...

Oh of course not who needs any of that.

I am in this country illegally so no taxes
Insurance is a waste of money
I don't use gas I ride a pedal bike to the job

Maybe if you jerks weren't so condescending there would be more active members here. I wonder what mike holt would think about the way people are treated here?

Status
Not open for further replies.