Field Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Hope this is not so off topic that it gets removed. As most of you know I am an estimator and have asked MANY questions on here and have been helped by many and I thank you. I was looking ot work on the weekend for an electrical contractor for free to gain hands on experience. Do you there would be a contractor willing to take me on for something like that? I would obviously try to get in with a reputable/good guy. THanks.

iwire

Staff member
I don't mean this to come across as rude but what would be in it for the contractor?

You are very green and have no intention of staying there so why would they want to take the time to train you?

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I don't mean this to come across as rude but what would be in it for the contractor?

You are very green and have no intention of staying there so why would they want to take the time to train you?

No problem. I meant to post this in the "estimating/contracting" forum. I would be a help(free)..I have done some basic installation around my home, I pick up thinkgs VERY quickly.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

Sometimes it would be nice to have a "warm body", especially the free ones, wouldn't it?
A lot of knowledge can be gained by watching others while he is doing those simple tasks no one else wants to do.
("Help me hold this panel up to mount it to the wall", "Bring the materials in off the truck", etc...)

iwire

Staff member
Sometimes it would be nice to have a "warm body", especially the free ones, wouldn't it?

Yeah sometimes and those guys would get the work like hauling trash, coffee runs etc. so he would not be learning much.

I also can't have people on the job who are not actuall employees, insurance issues etc. So he would have to be collecting a wage even if it was minimum.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Yeah sometimes and those guys would get the work like hauling trash, coffee runs etc. so he would not be learning much.

I also can't have people on the job who are not actuall employees, insurance issues etc. So he would have to be collecting a wage even if it was minimum.

I completely understand your position regarding workmans comp. and unpaid employees,etc.
I guess I was thinking along the lines of an unpaid subcontractor...
Of course, if anything were to happen, it could cost you more than a company is worth, or worse yet... :weeping:

tkb

It's a union shop.

Have you asked your boss if you can do a job site visit for a day or two to see what the work looks like that you are estimating?
This way you could get familiar with some of the parts and how they go together.

You could talk to some of the guys and ask some of the questions that you may have about how long it takes to do some of the tasks that you are estimating.
You would also see how the height of the work would factor in the amount of labor needed and help you to have an accurate bid.
You may be able to see a large wire pulls to see what is involved.

I agree that you need field experience and you might as well be paid for it as well.

Note for jumper, I am trying to help this kid, so I don't need you to comment on my response.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
It would also show the men who are trying to work at the pace you set that you care and would like to do better.

tkb

He justs needs to understand the pace. It is not his job to set the pace, that job belongs to the foreman and project manager.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Have you asked your boss if you can do a job site visit for a day or two to see what the work looks like that you are estimating?
This way you could get familiar with some of the parts and how they go together.

You could talk to some of the guys and ask some of the questions that you may have about how long it takes to do some of the tasks that you are estimating.
You would also see how the height of the work would factor in the amount of labor needed and help you to have an accurate bid.

I agree that you need field experience and you might as well be paid for it as well.

Note for jumper, I am trying to help this kid, so I don't need you to comment on my response.

Thanks TKB. I was actually a APM for about a year and I was in the field so I have seen installs before. I just feel I need to actually do it.....AND I WANT TO.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Hope this is not so off topic that it gets removed. As most of you know I am an estimator and have asked MANY questions on here and have been helped by many and I thank you. I was looking ot work on the weekend for an electrical contractor for free to gain hands on experience. Do you there would be a contractor willing to take me on for something like that? I would obviously try to get in with a reputable/good guy. THanks.
Good luck with that. Internships can be a great way to reach that first and hardest rung on the experience ladder.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems

For the right contractor, the chance to hire someone later whom he knows and who knows the way things are done in his company. Many interns go on to work for the companies that have given them an opportunity.

jumper

Is it okay for me say: I agree and that this is good advice.

jumper

Habitat for humanity usually uses an EC and free volunteer labor, might be a way to pick up some resi experience that would help you go forward.

From there an EC might pick you up for part time and you could do some commercial.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
TKB, George,
The "pace" was set at the time of the bid; only got x amount of time to perform a function.
I have said in the field many times "Who the Hel p bid this" and would have been impressed to see the man come out to see if he is in the ball park or not; he might just learn from we who are parts putter iners.
Yes, a good forman can make or break a job no matter how the bid was.

Status
Not open for further replies.