Who is permitted to work on energized equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krist003

Hello all,

I'm a long time lurker, but new member here and had to ask a question that has peaked my curiosity.

What are the qualifications and requirements in order to work on energized equipment? Only interested in commercial work. I am very curious as to what makes a person qualified to do such work. Is there anything above an beyond being a license electrician to work on energized equipment. Does CAL/OSHA govern this?

Any other info on the subject would be appreciated. Finding information about this on the various websites can almost be impossible, especially OSHA's.

Thank you for your time in advance

zog

According to the NFPA 70E, a “Qualified Person" is one who is trained and knowledgeable of the construction and operation of the equipment or the specific work method, and be trained to recognize the hazards present with respect to that equipment or work method.

Such persons shall also be familiar with the use of the precautionary techniques, personal protective equipment, insulating and shielding materials, and insulated tools and test equipment. A person can be considered qualified with respect to certain tasks but still be unqualified for others.

An employee that is undergoing on the job training and who, in the course of such training, has demonstrated the ability to perform duties safely at his or her level of training and who is under the direct supervision of a qualified person shall be considered to be a qualified person for the performance of those duties.

In addition, to be permitted to work within the limited approach of exposed energized conductors and circuit parts the person shall be trained in all of the following:
Qualified employees shall be trained and competent in:
•The skills and techniques necessary to distinguish exposed live parts from other parts of electric equipment
•The skills and techniques necessary to determine the nominal voltage of exposed live parts
•The minimum approach distances specified in this section corresponding to the voltages to which the qualified employee will be exposed, and,
•The decision making process necessary to determine the degree and extent of the hazard and the personal protective equipment and job planning necessary to perform the task safely

A few notes to add to the 70E definition.
•Only the employer can deem an employee qualified after they have had the proper training and have demonstrated profinency using the skills and method learned.
•There is no such thing as NFPA 70E certification, going to a training course does not make an employee qualified.
•The most misunderstood part of the "qualified" term is that it is all emcompassing, you are "qualified" to work on a specific type or piece of equipment.
•Neither a J-card, a masters license, or an engineering degree make you a "qualified person"
•The word "electrician" is not anywhere in the definition of a "qualified person" meaning these rules apply to all employees and you dont have to be an electrician to be "qualified

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I agree Zog's FAQ is excellent; however, note that California has a weird relationship to NFPA 70E. Technically, Title 8 overrules it; theoretically, because it is more restrictive. Unlike, most "State Plan" States, FedOSHA still looks over California's shoulder, because the State rules are substantially different from the Fed rules. Unfortunately, you need to know both. Again, "commercial" doesn't mean anything in eithr case.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Bob,
So if you are a qualified person, under what conditions does CalOSHA, can you work on energized equipment? With 70E it would be a very rare case where you would be permitted to work on energized equipment in a commercial occupancy, other than troubleshooting.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Per my employer, I'm not "qualified;"but if I were, the 70E restrictions would still be in place. Remember "Big Brother" is still watching us.

The "extra added California bonus" is I must be a "qualified electrical worker" (with a partner) to do almost anything with equipment over 600V.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Per my employer, I'm not "qualified;"but if I were, the 70E restrictions would still be in place. Remember "Big Brother" is still watching us.

The "extra added California bonus" is I must be a "qualified electrical worker" (with a partner) to do almost anything with equipment over 600V.

i believe, at least in systems over 600 volts, that for you to be a "qualified person" only
applies to the system you are qualified for, it is not a blanket qualification.
a qualified person working for LADWP, is not a qualified person working on a SCE system.

LADWP requires you to have worked for them for two years, and gone thu their authorized person training,
and IF your supervisor puts you in for it, then they look at your work history, and capabilities.
they are somewhat selective. they don't just hand the title out indiscriminately.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
I left a link above to Title 8.

Section 2706(a)(2) exempts "Installations of conductors, equipment, and associated enclosures subject to the jurisdiction of the California Public Utilities Commission, that are owned, operated and maintained by an electric, communication or electric railway utility." LADWP (Los Angeles Department of Water and Power) is such a utility.

Section 2940(c) limits high voltage work (over 600V) to Qualified Electrical Workers: Only qualified electrical workers shall work on energized conductors or equipment connected to energized high-voltage systems. Except for replacing fuses, operating switches, or other operations that do not require the employee to contact energized high-voltage conductors or energized parts of equipment, clearing "trouble" or in emergencies involving hazard to life or property, no such employee shall be assigned to work alone. Employees in training, who are qualified by experience and training, shall be permitted to work on energized conductors or equipment connected to high-voltage systems while under the supervision or instruction of a qualified electrical worker. [Underline mine]

Title 8, Chapter 4, Subchapter 5, Group 1, Art 36 has many more interesting requirements that most California employers choose to ignore or are totally clueless about. Many, possibly most, don't even know Title 8 exists; more are becoming aware of 70E.

krist003

Thank you all for your responses, i now have a better overall understanding (and also some more reading to do). It seems as though as long as you are deemed to be a qualified person by your employer to work on a piece of energized equipment, then you can do so.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
... It seems as though as long as you are deemed to be a qualified person by your employer to work on a piece of energized equipment, then you can do so.
You may want to review NFPA 70E 130.1 very carefully.

Edit add: Infeasible does not include "economically inconvenient."

Last edited:

krist003

Understood. And i guess this is the reason we don't get into much hot work if any, we always schedule a shut down. Thanks rbalex.

Time to get a copy of NFPA 70E I suppose. Any other good resources regarding electrical safety that I should add to my library?

Status
Not open for further replies.