Outside GFI on Arc Fault Breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I've had issues with afci and ceiling fans in bedrooms, so I take the time to separate the two. /QUOTE]

separate which 2--gfci & afci? or ceiling fans from bedroom circuit?

I like it sometimes when a AFCI trips from a certain motor (usually vaccuum), if I can convince customer that its not my fault, the more people that don't like AFCI's may create a demand for better ones.

I've had issues with afci and ceiling fans in bedrooms, so I take the time to separate the two. /QUOTE]

separate which 2--gfci & afci? or ceiling fans from bedroom circuit?

I like it sometimes when a AFCI trips from a certain motor (usually vaccuum), if I can convince customer that its not my fault, the more people that don't like AFCI's may create a demand for better ones.

Separate the ceiling fans from AFCI. I remember when GFCI's first came out = nuisance tripping. I'm sure in time the AFCI issues will be corrected. I know it's hard to accommodate some inspectors with their point of view/demands, but sometimes it pays to bite your tongue. I've worked with guys that will argue for a hour with an inspector over a ten minute fix. The last thing I want the inspector to do on my job is to start counting the number of current carrying conductors in my pipe runs! :eek:

kwired

Electron manager
GFCI test button is not a load to ground. Test button works on ungrounded GFCI. My question: per 2011 NEC is the dining room required to have AFCI protection?

GFCI receptacle test button works when there is no ground because it puts the test load from one of the line conductors to one of the load conductors. This will put one side of the test current outside the CT and cause current to flow in the CT that operates the trip mechanism. If you were to check voltage between these two points with a low impedance voltage tester it will also cause the device to trip.

jwatts

Good news! The inspector informed me that an engineer had just informed him that there has been a recent development. It is now acceptable to install a GFI on an arc fault circuit. Not so sure about the recent development part......I thought this was always an acceptable method. Nevertheless, glad that there is no need to go back and repull circuits to the outside GFI. Now if I can get him understand why we used breaker handle ties on the networks. Thanks for everyones input.

kwired

Electron manager
Good news! The inspector informed me that an engineer had just informed him that there has been a recent development. It is now acceptable to install a GFI on an arc fault circuit. Not so sure about the recent development part......I thought this was always an acceptable method. Nevertheless, glad that there is no need to go back and repull circuits to the outside GFI. Now if I can get him understand why we used breaker handle ties on the networks. Thanks for everyones input.

That recent development must have been recent back when AFCI first was required because there never was anything prohibiting the install. The two have always worked together also.

AFCI's have their problems but GFCI's have no effect on them otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.