How to keep workers safe as well as company safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krist003

It seems like there is so much involved in safety traiing that it would be hard to actually run a successful business and also be in safety compliance. Can anyone offer advise to a new California Commercial/Industrial Union Electrical Contractor to keep workers safe and the company safe from litigation and Cal/Osha inspections?

What training, cert's, etc. should we put our electricians through? CPR Cert., NFPA 70E training, Arc Flash, etc., etc., etc., etc....... Do all workers need to go through or just the foreman in some cases? Does being a part of the IBEW Union cover any requirements?

How about office personnel? Or the Responsible Safetey Officer? What should they be qualified or trained in?

To put things in perspective, it would be a relatively small company (10-30 electricians, 5 office workers). Worker safety is the most important, but what can the company do to keep them safe from litigation as well?

Thank you in advance. I have gained so much knowledge from the endless contributions to this forum and it is greatly appreciated.

pfalcon

For small businesses you periodically schedule a third party business to visit and provide training. Maintaining staff for the purpose is too expensive. There should be a lead safety person in any case.

zog

What training, cert's, etc. should we put our electricians through? CPR Cert., NFPA 70E training, Arc Flash, etc., etc., etc., etc....... Do all workers need to go through or just the foreman in some cases?
70E (Qualified worker) and CPR training are both required and must be documented, otherwise expect heavy fines from OSHA following an accident. You may also have additional required OSHA (or CALOSHA) 10 and 40 hour requirements, depending on your work.

Does being a part of the IBEW Union cover any requirements?
No, but classes may be offered though your local.

How about office personnel?
Generally no but I would have them CPR trained as well if you are having a class done at your facility.

Or the Responsible Safetey Officer? What should they be qualified or trained in?
Some vendors offer special classes for them (I used to) that focuses more on things like required documentation, accident reporting, PPE management,EEWP's, etc...

krist003

Thank you both very much. I agree on the outside training part; And on other posts from Zog, I have learned to search a qualified one out.

This has brought up some more questions. How often will we need to update the 70E training for our qualified workers? On occasion, we call someone out of the hall for a short period of time (between a week to a year only). To what extent is CPR or other safety training necessary for them? Is there a requirement for how long they are employed?

How do I find out if the Osha or Cal/Osha 10 or 40 hour course is required for our type of work?

zog

This has brought up some more questions. How often will we need to update the 70E training for our qualified workers?

Per 70E (3) Retraining. An employee shall receive additional training (or retraining) under any of the following conditions:

(a) If the supervision or annual inspections indicate that the employee is not complying with the safety-related work practices
(b) If new technology, new types of equipment, or changes in procedures necessitate the use of safety-related work practices that are different from those that the employee
would normally use
(c) If he or she must employ safety-related work practices that are not normally used during his or her regular job duties
(d) Retraining shall be performed at intervals not to exceed 3 years. (New requirement)

On occasion, we call someone out of the hall for a short period of time (between a week to a year only). To what extent is CPR or other safety training necessary for them? Is there a requirement for how long they are employed?
They should have it too, can't you make that a requirement when you put the call in?
How do I find out if the Osha or Cal/Osha 10 or 40 hour course is required for our type of work?
Generally for construction projects or larger projects require the OSHA classes, bot sure on the CALOSHA requirements, maybe another left coaster can chime in?

WorkSafe

There are no mandatory OSHA classes that I know of, however, OSHA/CALOSHA require workers to be trained in certain things depending on occupation, and these OSHA 10hr/30/40hr are just a way to comply with the intent.

Look here for some decent info regarding CalOSHA requirements for employers:

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dosh/EmployerInformation.htm

Injury recordkeeping is a big hitter with both Fed and Cal OSHA. This will be most likely the first stop a inspector will go to when conducting a inspection.

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dosh/dosh_publications/cal_fed.html

Last edited:

PEDRO ESCOVILLA

send all your people through an osha 30 hour course, and be darn sure ALL your people follow ppe and log/out, tag/out rules to the t. no possible hazard means no possible injury or death. your on site (and in house) safety program must be followed no matter what. yes it gets expensive, yes it gets burdensome, but not as expensive or burdensome as a job related lost time injury or fatality. you can ( at least where i was) request voluntary inspections of your job sites to help see that you are compliant or not then help you dcome in to compliance without hanging you, or breaking your bank with fines in the process . that was in vermont, under VOSHA, cal osha may be a bigger $ looking for fines kind of thing, i dont' rightly know about that. with electrical safety these days, fr clothing, hot suits, face sheilds, gloves are expensive, but the alternatives are not pretty.

Last edited:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I "heard" the other day, so I can't verify, that even when you take the OSHA class, you're still not "certified" as they don't offer a cert or card. So I'm not sure how you prove that you've had the required training. Again just something I heard. Here in CA inspectors are required to have 57 hours of training every three years. We make sure that we get a cert or some kind of documentation so that we can prove it.

raider1

Staff member
I "heard" the other day, so I can't verify, that even when you take the OSHA class, you're still not "certified" as they don't offer a cert or card. So I'm not sure how you prove that you've had the required training. Again just something I heard. Here in CA inspectors are required to have 57 hours of training every three years. We make sure that we get a cert or some kind of documentation so that we can prove it.

Correct, there are no NFPA 70E certifications that you can get. All you can do is get a certificate of completion from a NFPA 70E course. Keep the certificate of completion to document that you have had training.

Chris

WorkSafe

They still give you a card for taking the 10/30 hr classes. This card would come from whomever taught you. I am a OSHA 10/30 trainer and after a class, we have to submit the information to OSHA, who in turn mail us the completion cards. I believe they are now wanting like $15 just for the card these days.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
NFPA70E training requirements are determined by the EMPLOYER not by OSHA.
For example see NFPA70E 2009 110.6(A) - "They shall be trained....associated with their respective job or task assignments."

Status
Not open for further replies.