FIRE ALARM DEVICE WIRING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Is it pretty standard as to what devices get 1 pair wire and which get 2 pair wires for strobes, smokes, pull stations etc. I was told to use 2 pair dor spkr/strobes and single pair for all other. THanks,.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Get with your fire alarm guy he will tell you what works with his system.
Could be just thhn or shielded twisted. Most things are 2 wires, (1p), in out; but it depends on what the FA is, ie. SLC 1pr., horn/spkr 1pr., strobe 1pr, aux pwr 1pr, again we can only tell you to ask the fire alarm guy.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Get with your fire alarm guy he will tell you what works with his system.
Could be just thhn or shielded twisted. Most things are 2 wires, (1p), in out; but it depends on what the FA is, ie. SLC 1pr., horn/spkr 1pr., strobe 1pr, aux pwr 1pr, again we can only tell you to ask the fire alarm guy.

Wow I thought a speaker strobe always require (2) pair

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Fire alarm annunciating and initiating devices can use THHN?

In conduit! Or in fire alarm MC. I agree with sameguy. If you don't know the system and you don't have the device cut sheets you can not know. For example he generalizes that horn/strobes only need 2 wires, but while newer systems have electronics to silence the audible and keep the strobe flashing, prior to 2000 or so this function required a set of wires for the strobe and for the horns. Also, remember that this is two wires in and two separate wires out.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
In conduit! Or in fire alarm MC. I agree with sameguy. If you don't know the system and you don't have the device cut sheets you can not know. For example he generalizes that horn/strobes only need 2 wires, but while newer systems have electronics to silence the audible and keep the strobe flashing, prior to 2000 or so this function required a set of wires for the strobe and for the horns. Also, remember that this is two wires in and two separate wires out.

THanks. I thought ALL fa devices had to use fire alarm wire...such as 150 or 200 degree unshielded or shielded.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
THanks. I thought ALL fa devices had to use fire alarm wire...such as 150 or 200 degree unshielded or shielded.

If you're in NYC that's probably what you would be using for a Class E fire alarm system. The single pair or two pair cables is a design issue. Some FA venders won't allow it others won't care. The savings in the fact that you only need to run one cable (2-pair) between speaker/strobes instead of two single pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.