insulated conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottinga

Hey guys im new to posting on here but have been reading for sometime, I've got a question that is probably simple for most of the gurus on here, I must have imagined this, but somewhere in the NEC i thought i read,(but cant find it now) a statement referencing that any conductor capable of carrying current was to be coated or insulated. Can anybody reference me to the right article?
thanks
scott

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
See Table 310.21 where it gives the ampacities of bare conductors. That is to say, while there are certain restrictions on bare (or covered) conductors, there is no general requirement that current carrying conductors be insulated.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A grounded service entrance conductor isn't required to be insulated and can be bare when meeting certain conditions.

230.41 Insulation of Service-Entrance Conductors.
Service-entrance conductors entering or on the exterior of buildings or other structures shall be insulated.
Exception: A grounded conductor shall be permitted to be uninsulated as follows:
(1) Bare copper used in a raceway or part of a service cable assembly.
(2) Bare copper for direct burial where bare copper is judged to be suitable for the soil conditions.
(3) Bare copper for direct burial without regard to soil conditions where part of a cable assembly identified for underground use.
(4) Aluminum or copper-clad aluminum without individual insulation or covering where part of a cable assembly or identified for underground use in a raceway, or for direct burial.
(5) Bare conductors used in an auxiliary gutter.

Strife

Check "knob and tube" wiring methods"(NEC 394 I believe and 320). I'm not sure if 2001 NEC still has it, but I know it was in the previous cycles.
Other than "knob and tube" how would you avoid the wires touching each others?

Hey guys im new to posting on here but have been reading for sometime, I've got a question that is probably simple for most of the gurus on here, I must have imagined this, but somewhere in the NEC i thought i read,(but cant find it now) a statement referencing that any conductor capable of carrying current was to be coated or insulated. Can anybody reference me to the right article?
thanks
scott

scottinga

what about a grounding conductor specifically on sub-fed panels? Seems the only exemptions deal with grounded conductors either from the overhead or underground service. Thanks again for you help

scott

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
what about a grounding conductor specifically on sub-fed panels? Seems the only exemptions deal with grounded conductors either from the overhead or underground service. Thanks again for you help

scott

So you mean the EGC run with the subpanel feeder? EGC's are permitted to be bare.

jrohe

Occupation
Professional Engineer
thanks
scott

See 2011 NEC section 310.106(D). "Insulated. Conductors, not specifically permitted elsewhere in this Code to be covered or bare, shall be insulated."

Status
Not open for further replies.