Maestro Dimmers tripping Arc-Faults

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Yes, it was brought up years ago.

However, most townships/cities/municipalities are a couple years behind on adopting new code. So now that most places have adopted 2008 NEC, it is now a NOTICEABLE problem. If you were still on the 2005 cycle, then it wasn't usually an issue because very few bedrooms required dimming greater than 1000w. Since AFCI protection now (2008 NEC...and 2011) includes living/dining rooms, this will be a common issue.

Tottaly understandable due to the fact that we adopt the code late. I only joined MH in 2007. However I have done much research on this site and there is not much devoted discussion. Until this tread and there have been many a troubleshooting AFCI ones in the past. This is the first reference to the 1000w dimmed load issue.
I found another thread that was closed way before the issue was debated.

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=58727&highlight=AFCI+100+watt+dimming++max
I think that was wrong a posters question went unanswered.
Close a thread because it is going in the wrong direction, but not because of being stale or not interesting to the Moderator.

mltech

Lutron

Lutron

Sierrasparky.
Since we have modeled our business around dimming and lighting control in both the high value real estate and commercial realms. I am amazed at how many times we have been called out to investigate another electricians afci problem. This has been around for quite awhile now and problems still exist. Sometimes with not just dimmers but with the myriad of transformers and LED lights that are coming to market. We have even tried to educate engineers prior to install to alleviate some inherent issues. Grab an old panel and set it up with a temp light string any dimmer and see what happens.
We now make it a habit to test all light systems before we make our clients the guinea pig and shoot ourselves in the foot. And it still happens once in awhile maybe not with the afci but with the claim of a product being dimmable. I still find the requirement of 1000 watts per dimmable afci circuit annoying and an unnecessary cost increase to the customer. There has got to be a better way.
Best of luck.
M3

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I too try my best to to test systems prior to placing in a customers home or Biz. However my jaw dropped to the floor when I saw the post referring to the 1000w max. I have read and posted a substantial amount of times here and am baffled that the community has reamianed somwhat silent on this point.
When moderators are ignorant about this ...what can I say......

I am glad that here in CA we have energy requirements forcing the use of CFL socket based fixtures so the loads just have not been that great so I have not had issue. However I could have been a victim of poor troubleshooting had I not read this thread.

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
Heres another thread on this

Heres another thread on this

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=115753&highlight=afci+1000w

Dimmers create high frequency noise that the AFCI can detect as an arc. Another condition must also be met for this to occur. The 60hz current level has to be greater than 5 amps. This a minimum point at which tripping can/should occur due to an arc signature.

I would expect that the any nuisance tripping would occur more or less often depending upon the dimming level set.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Did you notice that I had replied in that thread. The funny thing is that once again the thread was closed. It was closed prior to the vetting of any claims of 1000 watt dimming load. These claims were challeged by Iwire a respected moderator. Again this claim was not vetted in this thread.
Once again a closed thread with very few posts and nothing off the wall.

Why is this.

dcooper

I spoke with my supplier, Lutron rep, and plenty of other electricians and NO ONE knew about this 1000watt Arch Fault issue.
I just did this kithchen, dinning rm, living rm (one big room, open concept) There are 25 lights........ 5 different sets of dimmers, all on Maestros!!!!!
My customer says they will be sitting in the living rm watching TV and the lights just trip.
Oh boy I gotta figure somthing out.

svh19044

I spoke with my supplier, Lutron rep, and plenty of other electricians and NO ONE knew about this 1000watt Arch Fault issue.
I just did this kithchen, dinning rm, living rm (one big room, open concept) There are 25 lights........ 5 different sets of dimmers, all on Maestros!!!!!
My customer says they will be sitting in the living rm watching TV and the lights just trip.
Oh boy I gotta figure somthing out.

Easy...

put the "kitchen" lighting on it's own circuit, non-afci protected.

I have spoken with Lutron AND Leviton CS in the past (leviton cs sucks by the way, especially in comparison to Lutron) and they both were aware of the problem.

Last edited:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun
!@#$%^&*'ing Arc-Faults!! :rant:

RC

:thumbsup:

I too hate them!:rant: Another half-baked product foisted on the construction industry by the manufacturers!

And the insurance companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.