Free PDF version of the 2011 NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member

Which presumably satisfies the requirement for the law to be publicly available. Of course, it's law, so it is public domain, so you could copy the whole thing while you were there, take it away, and put it up on a website!
And there's a good chance that once you get to that location you find out they do not permit electronic or photo copying. Your options of walking out with a copy are limited to handwritten, memorization, and/or purchasing a copywritten version of the NEC with separate amendments.

Last edited:

hurk27

On the site a link can't be published to(!), they have Ohio code for

but not the Ohio electrical code.
The Ohio Building Code, which incorporates IBC-2006, the 2006 International Building Code.
The Ohio Fire Code, which incorporates IFC-2006, the 2006 International Fire Code.
The Ohio Mechanical Code, which incorporates IMC-2006, the 2006 International Mechanical Code.
The Ohio Plumbing Code, which incorporates IPC-2006, the 2006 International Plumbing Code.

Electrical code is published and on the web site for the states and cities of:

Alaska, Alabama, Arkansas (NEC and IEEE/ANSI C2-2002, the National Electrical Safety Code), California, Connecticut, Georgia, Idaho, Michigan, Minnesota, The City of St. Louis, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey (and National Electrical Safety Code), Las Vegas, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming

I have looked a a couple of these state sites, and I have yet to find one that actually posted the NEC even with the amendments as a whole, most refer you to ICC or NFPA's web site to purchase a copy.

Heres a link to Connecticut's code
http://www.ct.gov/dps/lib/dps/office_of_state_building_inspector_files/2005_state_building_code.pdf

See page 112 of the PDF, and the only thing in there is what they changed.

I do find Connecticut's rewording of 210.8 disturbing, there's no requirement for GFCI's in garages or basments, unfinnished area's at or below grade? see pages 113 and 114 of that PDF?

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
My copy of the 2011 NEC doesn't include anything about downloading a PDF. :(

The original code books had a coupon in the back that allowed you to download the pdf. It gave a code but the code can only be used once.

I believe after the initial sets went out the pdf versions were not included.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I haven't read through this entire thread, but my guess is that you first purchase a copy of the paper version. Then you use a coupon included with the hard copy to order the free pdf version.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I haven't read through this entire thread, but my guess is that you first purchase a copy of the paper version. Then you use a coupon included with the hard copy to order the free pdf version.

This is correct except the coupon is used for a free download of the pdf. These coupons were in the original books and I believe were given as incentives. Not sure they are available anymore.

Not the yellow sticker in the right hand upper corner. If your book doesn't have that then it probably doesn't have the coupon.

ry%3D400

I personalized my own cover.

ry%3D400

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
If that is your picture on the Alwon codebook, you look different than you did when you had your picture made for your avator.

I got older...;). That is me just a few years ago . The smile is because I had my arms around 2 women at a dance showcase. I was watching.

Malcolm22

I can't find the promaotional code box?

I can't find the promaotional code box?

Hi Mike I signed registered and signed in but can't seem to find the promotional code box, where do I need to look in the website?

Cmdr_Suds

My argument has always been there is no national electrical code. There are state codes and local codes but NO national code. There is a book published by the NFPA titled "National Electrical Code" and it is adopted by the vast majority of states with minor revisions. Their title is a misnomer. The CFR (Code of Federal Regulations)does not list or reference it as such and thus it is not federally mandated and is not THE national electrical code.

OK, so I like to pick the fly poo out of the pepper.

I'm really not too worried the NFPA is going to go broke anytime soon because their book is available in electronic format for free on the internet. They may lose a few sales but I suspect that most will still buy the printed copy in lieu of wearing out their printers and paying for toner and paper. They do a quality job printing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.