Cable TV Depth Requirements...

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickboy1375

Installed 2" pvc conduit, 1200' from pole to house for CATV, was curious if ANY NEC depth requirements had to be followed, my belief is none, because its a private utility, but a lot of talk was debated when the guy digging the trench hit ledge, one odd thing around here is that the service underground lateral always gets inspected, but its a utility owned/serviced conduit once they energize, which I am confused on why the local building inspector feels t
he need to inspect to begin with?

iMuse97

No requirement of depth for COAX cabling. Just ask the local cable co. to bury it for you. Around here they stab a spade in as far as it goes on the first stab and move it back and forth to open up the earth, put it in and stomp it down with their foot.

stickboy1375

No requirement of depth for COAX cabling. Just ask the local cable co. to bury it for you. Around here they stab a spade in as far as it goes on the first stab and move it back and forth to open up the earth, put it in and stomp it down with their foot.

lol, this was 1200' from pole to house... I believe they quoted the homeowner some crazy amount to do the job... I'm just curious why the building inspector is involved in the conduit run for this private utility...

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Installed 2" pvc conduit, 1200' from pole to house for CATV, was curious if ANY NEC depth requirements had to be followed, my belief is none, because its a private utility, but a lot of talk was debated when the guy digging the trench hit ledge, one odd thing around here is that the service underground lateral always gets inspected, but its a utility owned/serviced conduit once they energize, which I am confused on why the local building inspector feels t
he need to inspect to begin with?

So, you install the underground service per NEC requirements, then the POCO assumes all responsibilities once they energize the line? Who is responsible for the line if you have a bad underground(blowout, burnout, etc. so many call them different things...)
There is no burial depth for coax. Around here as long as it is under the leaf litter, then it is buried. :)

stickboy1375

So, you install the underground service per NEC requirements, then the POCO assumes all responsibilities once they energize the line? Who is responsible for the line if you have a bad underground(blowout, burnout, etc. so many call them different things...)
There is no burial depth for coax. Around here as long as it is under the leaf litter, then it is buried. :)

Nope, I install the conduit to POCO requirements, they just happen to be the same depth requirements as NEC, and if anything happens after the fact, the utility company fixes/repairs any issues..

My main point is, why is the inspector involved in this, and would anyone have an issue with a 2" pvc installed for a CATV line 2" below grade?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Nope, I install the conduit to POCO requirements, they just happen to be the same depth requirements as NEC, and if anything happens after the fact, the utility company fixes/repairs any issues..

My main point is, why is the inspector involved in this, and would anyone have an issue with a 2" pvc installed for a CATV line 2" below grade?

2" below grade.

not on my jobs, asking for trouble, Where has the OP spoke of 2" burial?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

The inspector is overstepping his boundaries IMO. Bury the line, forget about him. When we allow someone on our system to bury their own conduit, WE inspect the depth, the trench bottom, and fill. We will not guarantee someone elses work without our own inspection. For this reason, we seldom allow a consumer to install their own service.

WorkSafe

It's amazing how fast a rotortiller can pull all that cable out of the ground. ;) Had to have Cox come back out and trench a new line they had installed in our yard (2yrs ago). They had only put it like 4" below grade.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
Huh--no matter what it is for I always use T300.5--never had a problem that way

pfalcon

Huh--no matter what it is for I always use T300.5--never had a problem that way

Um, forgive the ignorance. But isn't T300.5 required? Coax may be communication cable but it does carry a small current and is a conductor. Where is coax excluded as a direct-bury cable?

iwire

Staff member
Typically coax is covered in Chapter 8.

90.3 Code Arrangement.This Code is divided into the
introduction and nine chapters, as shown in Figure 90.3.
Chapters 1, 2, 3, and 4 apply generally; Chapters 5, 6, and
7 apply to special occupancies, special equipment, or other
special conditions. These latter chapters supplement or modify
the general rules. Chapters 1 through 4 apply except as
amended by Chapters 5, 6, and 7 for the particular conditions.

Chapter 8 covers communications systems and is not subject
to the requirements of Chapters 1 through 7
except where
the requirements are specifically referenced in Chapter 8.

Chapter 9 consists of tables that are applicable as referenced.
Informative annexes are not part of the requirements of
this Code but are included for informational purposes only.

I don't believe Table 300.5 is specifically referenced.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Here they just run what they call C in C (cable in conduit) and so does the POCO. Cable company just drops it in the trench with the phone line usually.

stickboy1375

Um, forgive the ignorance. But isn't T300.5 required? Coax may be communication cable but it does carry a small current and is a conductor. Where is coax excluded as a direct-bury cable?

This wire belongs to a private utility, i'm only installing the conduit for this utility. So I don't see why the NEC belongs, nor a building inspector.

pfalcon

Typically coax is covered in Chapter 8.
I don't believe Table 300.5 is specifically referenced.

On a quick run through - Tis a very sad compilation of requirements for cable. They might as well burn the section. In fact, that would be better from an NEC standpoint. Right now, there's just enough "Grandpa wisdom" in the section that the cable company can claim they're NEC compliant without really having to do anything other than grab parts from a coffee can.

This wire belongs to a private utility, i'm only installing the conduit for this utility. So I don't see why the NEC belongs, nor a building inspector.

The POCO and Phone companies don't drill a new hole in my rental property every time a new tenant moves in. The POCO and Phone company don't pound staples into my eaves or string cables across doorways. The POCO and Phone company don't leave cables laying on the ground across walkpaths. Both the POCO and the Phone company come to a box on the outside of the building and STOP. If the CATV did the same I'd not have so many problems with them.

As to installing 2" below grade: NOTHING should be that close to the surface. 6" or more. What was 2" below grade when you installed may be 1" above grade after people/dogs start beating a path into the ground. Or the local rabbits dig their burrows. And though I'm not questioning the quality of your personal work, I see too often when the ground dips a little the shallow buried stuff doesn't drop any lower and becomes exposed. It's just a short run after all. No one'll really care. Just because the lawnmower wheels get caught on it. The HO can live with it.

<html: end rant>

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

You are right. Neither one applies to or has business looking at your installation. 90.2(B)(4)

stickboy1375

Just so were clear, I'm all for burying any conduit 24" below grade, my rant was why an inspector was called to begin with.... it should be up to the owner if he wants the conduit deeper because we hit ledge.

iwire

Staff member
On a quick run through - Tis a very sad compilation of requirements for cable. They might as well burn the section. In fact, that would be better from an NEC standpoint. Right now, there's just enough "Grandpa wisdom" in the section that the cable company can claim they're NEC compliant without really having to do anything other than grab parts from a coffee can.

90.1 Purpose.
(A) Practical Safeguarding.
The purpose of this Code is
the practical safeguarding of persons and property from
hazards arising from the use of electricity.

Once you have the grounding of coax covered how much more do you need to make it safe? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.