Who pays to replace stolen copper on unfinished job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhalleron

This has not happened to me yet. I was just wondering.

I have a residential upgrade job in a not so good area of town. I started it in November expecting it to take only a week or so. The handyman is kind of slow and has been holding me up on my work.

I have not been paid for all of the work yet.

If someone breaks in and steals my service wiring, range cable and any other exposed romex who pays to replace it, my insurance or the homeowner?s? Should that be in my contract?

I did a job for this same customer a year ago and he just got broke into and lost a lot of romex. He asked me to bid on replacing it. I didn't have time, so one of my friends did the job.

renosteinke

It seems to me that site security is exactly the sort of thing the contract needs to address - and for which insurance might be a good idea.

iwire

Staff member
In general, once it is installed it is the property owners issue.

On site storage is another matter all together and if not spelled out differently in the contract is generally the sub contractors issue.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
You might want to look into some of the standard contracts and forms from the American Association of Architects. And just for educational purposes look at a G702 and a G703.

And probably only a good lawyer in your area can tell you for sure

But read some of the AIA forms and it will probably educate you a bit on matters such as this

http://documentsondemand.aia.org/

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
I don't leave uninstalled wire on the job- so it was installed.

We try to avoid on site storage but to some extent it is unavoidable. Generally we rent trailers or ground containers but it is our responsibility to replace what is inside if they get broken into.

growler

If someone breaks in and steals my service wiring, range cable and any other exposed romex who pays to replace it, my insurance or the homeowner?s? Should that be in my contract?

If you have already roughed it in, had an inspection and collected for the rough-in then it's not your wire anymore.

Up to that point you might need pictures or something to prove that the cable had been installed.

The homeowner if acting as his own GC and the house setting empty may need contruction insurance to cover any loss. He would need to contact his agent and check it out.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
We try to avoid on site storage but to some extent it is unavoidable. Generally we rent trailers or ground containers but it is our responsibility to replace what is inside if they get broken into.
I am a romex monkey, remember...:D. Generally we just take what we need from the truck and install it. I do leave some recessed cans and nail on boxes on the job but not wire.

This particular job I had about 3 hours left to finish- came in the day after memorial day and I couldn't believe it. They actually caught the guy almost 2 years later. He confessed to 12 jobs that he stole from.

Joethemechanic said:
You must have a good insurance company. Most of them would have dumped the problem on your customer and his insurance
The builders insurance not mine. They had a $1000 deductible but it cost $7000 to clean up and redo. It was actually a great deal for me. I should hire someone to rob all my jobs. :lol:

maghazadeh

I have been robbed many times.
One time they got in to job site in the weekend and pulled out all copper buses from existing sw board / dist. pnls. and a lots of wire from 3/O to 600 MCM. It costs near $ 230,000.00 to replace and install all that.
I agree generally if the work installed is on the property owner / owner agent insurance and if stored is on EC's insurance.

dhalleron

Thanks all.

I'll plan on addressing it in my contract.

I do take pictures, but not always during all phases of the job. I'll do more of that to document the material being installed.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
One time they got in to job site in the weekend and pulled out all copper buses from existing sw board / dist. pnls. and a lots of wire from 3/O to 600 MCM. It costs near $ 230,000.00 to replace and install all that.
I agree generally if the work installed is on the property owner / owner agent insurance and if stored is on EC's insurance.

Heck that's almost my entire gross from last year... :lol:

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Thanks all.

I'll plan on addressing it in my contract.

I do take pictures, but not always during all phases of the job. I'll do more of that to document the material being installed.

I haven't needed it for a theft situation, but I like to snap a couple pictures when I get to the job, and right before I leave.

If nothing more, it serves as a time card.

USMC1302

I agree with Mr. Iwire as to the installed vs. stored materials. Maybe suggest the owner check his homeowner's policy or purchase a Builder's Risk policy for the project. I do know that sometimes the contractor is responsible for this when it is spelled out in the specs/contract.

steve

TobyD

If it's installed, then in this area it's assumed it belongs to the building contractor.I have had numerous residential jobs stripped of the wire.If the premisis is locked their insurance most often times covers the theft.We had a job where a person came in broad day light and started taking the homeruns out.When the plumber questioned him ,he told the plumber the wire was wrong.The plumber got his tag number and they went to the theifs house and arrested him.Bad thing though ,I replaced the wire finished the project and the builder bankrupted and I lost all the labor and material.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist

Did you pay for replacement? was the cost of wire $230k?

Status
Not open for further replies.