2 Romex's in one connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexie123

Hey all,

I feel dumb asking this but here it goes.

I had a co worker wire about 35 recessed lights. I wasn't there to watch him do the work but when I returned I noticed he had wired all of them (except for the endline lights) with one romex connector and put two 14/2 romex in each connector. MUCH to my chagrin.

Anyway I'm assuming this is against the listing but I'm hoping maybe I'm wrong. I'm in NJ. Do you think I'm going to get shot down for this install?

Thanks

svh19044

Which romex connector? It sounds like a good possibility of you being wrong...typically you can fit 2 12/2 or 14/2 through one nm, romex clamp connector, but without knowing the exact connector used, it's a tough question to answer.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Find the similar connectors that are listed for two cables. Have the part number ready to give the inspector. If you seem to have your stuff together the inspector is not going to waste his time wondering if you actually have the ones "approved" by the "authority".

Most of the time, I choose the one that's been tested by UL and approved...but sometimes the fitting is too simple to reject a brand because UL didn't bother to test it. The whole assembly is basically 3 pieces of metal plus two screws.

paul

An Arlington NM74 lets you install (2) 14-2 to 10-2 cables. You can also install (2) 14-3 cables in one fitting.

NM74.jpg

http://www.aifittings.com/products/line-drawings/NM74.pdf

Last edited:

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I believe the Arlington black button fittings allow (2) 14/2 or 12/2 flat cables per connector or (1) 14/3 or 12/3 round cable per connector in a 1/2" KO.

Dexie123

That's exactly what I was thinking of doing Jaylelectric! Haha.... Thanks everyone for your responses and advice. All very good.

renosteinke

I've been through this issue. In my case, it was the multitude of cables that had to enter the top of a panel.

The UL WHite Book will tell you that the 'smallest unit of packaging' will have the listing of the cable combinations for which the connectors are approved. In my case, the connectors were the type that have a clamp with two screws. The box they came in specifically listed twl #12-3 cables as approved. Inspector withdrew his objection.

Status
Not open for further replies.