mounting outside lights for a prebuilt building

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benton

Any one have any suggestion on mounting outside lights on a pre-built barn? The inside of the barn is all open (wood studs). I was thinking of taking a hole saw 3-12" or so and drilling through the building, then taking an octagon box with brackets on the inside. What are your thoughts?

rexowner

Occupation
Electrician
I have never wired a barn, but I'd probably surfacemount something like an Arlington 8131TR. You can just screw it to the siding and your cable or threaded conduit from enter from the side or back.

kwired

Electron manager
Any one have any suggestion on mounting outside lights on a pre-built barn? The inside of the barn is all open (wood studs). I was thinking of taking a hole saw 3-12" or so and drilling through the building, then taking an octagon box with brackets on the inside. What are your thoughts?

Sounds fine to me - if you even need a box. Most of time I am mounting a wall pack or something where you just run raceway or cable right into the light.

Most new buildings are sheet metal finished anymore. Not as easy to do so with those - you need to build some more support behind the tin or make sure you hit a framing member.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
What kind of lights are you installing?

Status
Not open for further replies.