Labor Force

Status
Not open for further replies.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I have a new SIP home I am bidding on. If I get the project I am going to hire these guys!:slaphead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWU2xa_yG2M

Is this your first SIP deal? Done some myself that were SIP/timber frame. Not for the average romex jockey that wants to get and get out like a stickbuilt. It's OK work if you know how to get enough labor figured in as it is very labor intensive.

laketime

Yes it is my first one. I price per opening. What kind of percentage do you add to your normal price?

bullheimer

i bid one at $10/sq ft and never heard back from them. considered myself lucky. % wise that is DOUBLE what i would charge to retro fit wires.

texie

Occupation
Yes it is my first one. I price per opening. What kind of percentage do you add to your normal price?

Be careful, the first one is a real learning process. Also, if it is timber frame construction as well, that adds more difficulty/complexity. I can't say with any accuracy the price as an adder % though, as I would have to see the plans. For example, are there any factory chases, type of structure, etc. Also, it may help you to know that we use the commercial foam and applicator (the same stuff that the SIP guys use) to set the outlet boxes.

laketime

I am not sure if there are chases. The drawings are not super detailed and this preliminary estimate is for a very basic approximate budget number, nothing I will be held to. I am also designing the layout so trying to keep most electrical out of sip walls where possible. The rest of the house is traditional framing.

texie

Occupation
I am not sure if there are chases. The drawings are not super detailed and this preliminary estimate is for a very basic approximate budget number, nothing I will be held to. I am also designing the layout so trying to keep most electrical out of sip walls where possible. The rest of the house is traditional framing.

Yes, you are on the right track to design accordingly to stay in the standard framing areas where possible. If you like, you can PM me and I can maybe offer some insight as to what we learned.

laketime

Thank you. I will when I get closer to even knowing what the place will be made of or look like.

morsefire

I too have done a number of them. Extreme Panel houses have the chases but they don't always line up. The ones I've done with no chases, I use any and all door and window openings before the bucks are installed plus some creative drilling from below. I don't think I'd recommend the red hot ball bearing method however! I've also put receps in the mopboard when I'm able to work with the carpenters.

Status
Not open for further replies.