Upcoming Job with Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Here are some pics of an upcoming job. I am to replace the fuse panel with a breaker panel. The 1st pic is how everything is set up now. There is a fused disconnect that feeds the fuse panel and also another disconnect for the A/C and range. The water heater is also fed off of that disconnect. The plan is to leave the fused disconnect but do away with the other disconnects for the range, A/C & water heater.

First question, the fused disconnect is rated for 200A according to what I can see on the nameplate. However, it is fused at 125A. Can the smaller fuses be used with a disconnect being rated higher?

Next, The GEC is landed in the meter base then to the water pipe. The only bonding I see would be from the conduit from meter pan to the disconnect. Would I also need to run a bonding jumper from the neutral lug to the disc. can? Or since the GEC is probably bonded in the meter and that being bonded through the conduit, would that be enough. I was thinking if I had to, I would come off the neutral lug and bond to another lug that I would have to add to the side of the can. It would have to be double lugs so I would have somewhere to run the EGC over to the new (sub) panel.

Would it be better to use PVC to connect the disco and the new panel?

What size do the wires look to be from the meter that enters the bottom of the disco? To me, they look like either 1/0 or 2/0.
001-1.jpg

010.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

002.jpg

004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

006.jpg

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
If I were asked to do this I would politely explain to the customer that we start at the weather head and replace it all. Or decline job.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
why not replace everything inside with a new main breaker panel? definitely looks like 100a. land gecs in your new panel

For now I'm just replacing the old fused panel and the smaller disconnects. This has to be done in a small time frame. We are not allowed to pull the meter here, and on top of that, the meter will probably have to be moved. I'm leaving the main disco so I can do the work without waiting for the POCO to pull the meter and then wait for them to reconnect. The HO is elderly and in poor health and I can't take a chance on leaving the power off for very long. especially in the winter.
I'm going to leave it so in the future the meter can be moved and the fused disco can be done away with.

jumper

For now I'm just replacing the old fused panel and the smaller disconnects. This has to be done in a small time frame. We are not allowed to pull the meter here, and on top of that, the meter will probably have to be moved. I'm leaving the main disco so I can do the work without waiting for the POCO to pull the meter and then wait for them to reconnect. The HO is elderly and in poor health and I can't take a chance on leaving the power off for very long. especially in the winter.
I'm going to leave it so in the future the meter can be moved and the fused disco can be done away with.

Sounds like you have a good plan.

125 amp fuses in a 200 amp disco are fine.

Jerseydaze

what if the lugs on the meter pan are burning up and the meter falls out?

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Where that meter is located, I'm surprised some kid hasn't put a stick in the seal and busted it

kwired

Electron manager
..First question, the fused disconnect is rated for 200A according to what I can see on the nameplate. However, it is fused at 125A. Can the smaller fuses be used with a disconnect being rated higher?..

What size do the wires look to be from the meter that enters the bottom of the disco? To me, they look like either 1/0 or 2/0.

I doubt you will find a fused disconnect rated 125 amps, and a 125 amp fuse will not fit into a 100 amp fuseholder.

Not even going to guess what size that conductor is from a picture unless you post a close up with a measuring rule with the bare end.

and what if we lose gravity??????

:D

Then it possibly could fall any direction except back.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Sounds like you have a good plan.

125 amp fuses in a 200 amp disco are fine.

I agree and would feel fine doing it.

Thanks! I will feel better doing it this way, to take care of the most needed part now and not have the power off too long.
There's always another day for the rest, and of course another pay day to go along with it.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.