• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I have deliberately avoided graphics over on the ?other? thread because I wanted to discuss what a phase is rather than what it may look like or how it?s measured.

That said, how many phases does this simple two winding transformer have. Whether it has a practical application is irrelevant ? just how many phases? (I also deliberately left off a neutral :D)

Edit add (with thanks to mivey): Assume the applied primary voltage is characterized by the general function V(t)= A sin(ωt+φ0), where A, ω and φ0are constants. Apply any arbitrary set of turns ratios you desire between the primary winding and secondary taps. (With judicious selection you might even make one a neutral.)

XFMR.jpg

Last edited:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I have deliberately avoided graphics over on the ?other? thread because I wanted to discuss what a phase is rather than what it may look like or how it?s measured.

That said, how many phases does this simple two winding transformer have. Whether it has a practical application is irrelevant ? just how many phases? (I also deliberately left off a neutral :D)

View attachment 6455

THANK YOU!!!!

I was going to post a similar drawing with the same question on the "other" thread.

My vote is one phase. Even if you didn't leave off a neutral.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
One, but couldn't you ground any of the points? (A-F) That would still leave you with one phase though. I really don't want to get into the other drawn out argument...

mivey

Zero

Zero

That said, how many phases does this simple two winding transformer have.
Seeing no definitions, I'll use the technically correct definition of phase that says the phase of an AC wave is any point on the AC wave. The phase is usually indicated by the number of degrees from a reference point. With polyphase voltages or currents, there is more than one phase at any given instant. Two-wire circuits can only be single-phase as there can only be one phase present at any given instant.

In considering your diagram, I see no waveforms specified so you have zero phases.

If you want to know what to call this device: it is a single-phase transformer.

jumper

Am I close?:D

moon-phases-diagram.gif

kwired

Electron manager
I say single phase, and there is no neutral. You can ground any one of the taps if you wish but that does not make it a neutral. Add one more tap or take one away and the center tap is the neutral - or as neutral as you are going to get.

Wait till the guys from other thread put their 50,000,000? in and we will have 900 posts:thumbsdown:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I say single phase, and there is no neutral. You can ground any one of the taps if you wish but that does not make it a neutral. Add one more tap or take one away and the center tap is the neutral - or as neutral as you are going to get.

Wait till the guys from other thread put their 50,000,000? in and we will have 900 posts:thumbsdown:

That thread has averaged 48.7 posts per day for 17 days, a total of 828 posts. Amazing.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Seeing no definitions, I'll use the technically correct definition of phase that says the phase of an AC wave is any point on the AC wave. The phase is usually indicated by the number of degrees from a reference point. With polyphase voltages or currents, there is more than one phase at any given instant. Two-wire circuits can only be single-phase as there can only be one phase present at any given instant.

In considering your diagram, I see no waveforms specified so you have zero phases.

If you want to know what to call this device: it is a single-phase transformer.
Good points.

Assume the applied primary voltage is characterized by the general function V(t)= A sin(ωt+φ0), where A, ω and φ0are constants. Apply any arbitrary set of turns ratios you desire between the primary winding and secondary taps.

We agree on what to call the device (YEA). Not sure we agree on why yet - but we seem to be getting there.

pfalcon

Do we have oscilloscopes capable of 28 day scanning periods?
It's called a phase thread on this forum.

One. This is a single-phase voltage divider with multiple taps.
-- though --
Pragmatically around 30 with the given taps. You can create usable (sub)phases from AB, AC, AD, AE, etc. They're not properly separate phases but only sections of the whole that can be used as though they were separate.

Status
Not open for further replies.