Y-Y WHY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2manynotez

We have a site that at present has a delta-wye 12470-208/120 VAC Transformer, the transformer is maxed out and the utility is upgrading to a larger transformer, the new transformer they are providing is a wye-wye 12470/7200 to 208/120 VAC.

My question would be why, the site is a large warehouse converted to refrigeration storage, they have maybe 500 super freezers (my term) that keep products at -35 F. I believe all the compressors are 208 single phase (maybe 208 3 phase), if this is important I can get the actual motor specs). I do not believe there are any large harmonic rich loads.

In reading about wye-wye there seem to be some issues that you do not have with delta-wye transformers.

If I may offer my humble thoughts on this, having consulted to many a utility company, and served as engineering manager for a utility, my first guess is that it was a transformer they had on hand. You did not mention the capacity of the transformer, but I am assuming it is rather large [>1000 kVA].. and depending on the market, it could take up to 6 months to get a larger transformer in.

Just a thought...

Besoeker

If I may offer my humble thoughts on this, having consulted to many a utility company, and served as engineering manager for a utility, my first guess is that it was a transformer they had on hand. You did not mention the capacity of the transformer, but I am assuming it is rather large [>1000 kVA].. and depending on the market, it could take up to 6 months to get a larger transformer in.

Just a thought...
And a good one if I may say so.
Occam's razor comes to mind.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

Just a thought...

The first thing the OP need to do is

You may check up if any HV neutral line is present and connected to the primary neutral of the wye-wye transformer provided by the POCO now or there is any delta connected tertiary winding in it.It is because, in the absence of both,the secondary voltages would become distorted to cause deleterious effects on your loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.