2009 IRC . Where are CO deterors required??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt66electric

I normally don't do residential in nearby towns, But,, I asked the inspector the basic questions, She required a smokes and CO dectectors.
But, she could not specify the specific details for Carbon monoxide detector location(s) required.

Can Anyone give me a hand ?? I need this job completed by Fri.

jumper

SECTION R315 CARBON MONOXIDE ALARMS

R315.1 Carbon monoxide alarms. For new construction, an approved carbon monoxide alarm shall be installed outside of each separate sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of the bedrooms in dwelling units within which fuel-fired appliances are installed and in dwelling units that have attached garages.

http://publicecodes.citation.com/icod/irc/2009/icod_irc_2009_3_sec015.htm

R315.2 Where required in existing dwellings. Where work requiring a permit occurs in existing dwellings that have attached garages or in existing dwellings within which fuel-fired appliances exist, carbon monoxide alarms shall be provided in accordance with Section R315.1.

Howard Burger

location of co detectors

location of co detectors

I don't have the fire code cite for you, but we're required to have one co detector on each floor, and one adjacent to each sleeping area. Usually the 'each floor' co detector is in the hall outside the bedrooms. Bedrooms require a smoke detector, and all of them are tied together. Hope this helps.

Gac66610

I had an EI tell me they are only needed on floors with bedrooms, so unfinished basements are not required.
IMO that is the first place one should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.