any violation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to run from breaker in conduit to a JB with a 20 amp 240v twistlock rect. Would like to use SO cord with 240v twistlock plug at one end (to get power from previously mentioned rect) and a JB at the other end, which then gets wired (in conduit) to feed a remotely located pump. The SO cord would run a few feet from JB to plug end. This would be located in a resi garage. Owner would like to be able to unplug this pump at will. Just not too familiar with when I can and can't utilize SO cord. Thanks in advance.

jumper

here is a pic

imagesqtbnANd9GcTqwT964bNmnXCnmMxXQ4HRVyUK0WMNIK4JoLvTkgcR0UusFLfJt6-0oOuv.jpg

resistance

Utilization equipment: Equipment that utilizes electric energy for electronic, electromechanical, chemical, heating, lighting, or similar purpose.

iwire

Staff member
Would like to use SO cord with 240v twistlock plug at one end (to get power from previously mentioned rect) and a JB at the other end, which then gets wired (in conduit) to feed a remotely located pump.

Violation for sure in my opinion.

400.8 Uses Not Permitted. Unless specifically permitted
in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the
following:

(1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure

I thank all of you for your replies. I think I'll call the AHJ in the AM and let him make the call before I start any work. They want to be able to feed the pump from a generator (and they don't care about heat, fridge, etc) if they lose power. Sounds like I may have to install a double pole double throw disconnect and hardwire the pump from it. on the other "throw" I can wire a male rect.

jwelectric

Interesting:?

No heat to keep the water from freezing?

Now this is a strange request:blink:

I have a similar setup so I can water the horses during a power outage. Once this done I turn the water back off so it doesn?t freeze.

We have gas logs for heat in the house and get real romantic with candles at night.

Interesting:?

No heat to keep the water from freezing?

Now this is a strange request:blink:

The basement flooding began last year after the inground pool was installed next door. They don't want to get flooded again. They didn't want to hear anything about transfer switches. Maybe because of the cost of the excavation, piping, tank, pump, etc. I got a call about wiring a pump, with a request that it could be back-up powered.

kwired

Electron manager
The basement flooding began last year after the inground pool was installed next door. They don't want to get flooded again. They didn't want to hear anything about transfer switches. Maybe because of the cost of the excavation, piping, tank, pump, etc. I got a call about wiring a pump, with a request that it could be back-up powered.

I'm sure they didn't want to hear about cost of excavation, piping, tank and pump either, must not have stopped them from putting it in.

Doesn't the pump have a cord and plug already? There is where to plug it into the generator - no extra work or pieces - owner should be happy with that.

Sounds like there should be some legal action taken against the neighbor and his pool. Is it from pool leaking or because of newly created surface drainage problems?

I'm sure they didn't want to hear about cost of excavation, piping, tank and pump either, must not have stopped them from putting it in. I suggested a 6 circuit generator transfer switch, but they were having no part of it.

Doesn't the pump have a cord and plug already? There is where to plug it into the generator - no extra work or pieces - owner should be happy with that. This pump is not supplied with a cord.

Sounds like there should be some legal action taken against the neighbor and his pool. Is it from pool leaking or because of newly created surface drainage problems?
Newly created surface drainage problems, and I'm not getting involved in those legal issues....I'm just the electrician;), trying not to cause any additional legal issues!

kwired

Electron manager
Newly created surface drainage problems, and I'm not getting involved in those legal issues....I'm just the electrician;), trying not to cause any additional legal issues!

I understand you are just the electrician - I have been that many times myself. Sure hope the owner isn't being taken advantage of by his neighbor. Most places I believe you can go back to simple building codes and find that his neighbors property shouldn't be altered in a way that causes more drainage onto his property, and this could possibly be resolved at the level of building inspection and not in court between the two neighbors- or should at least start there - but maybe is already well past that stage by now - I certainly can't do anything but speculate.

I understand you are just the electrician - I have been that many times myself. Sure hope the owner isn't being taken advantage of by his neighbor. Most places I believe you can go back to simple building codes and find that his neighbors property shouldn't be altered in a way that causes more drainage onto his property, and this could possibly be resolved at the level of building inspection and not in court between the two neighbors- or should at least start there - but maybe is already well past that stage by now - I certainly can't do anything but speculate.

My first thoughts were along the same lines as yours....legal action against the neighbor, or the town for allowing the pool install without requiring the neighbor to install a swale or something to divert the excess runoff. Just glad it's not my neighbor and my basement!

Status
Not open for further replies.