another handle tie ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Besoeker

Sorry to be a little blunt here (I don't mean any offense), but obviously you have absolutely NO idea why handle ties are required, and WHERE.
As a ignorant Brit (again) I have no idea what you guys mean by handle ties.
But I'm willing to be educated.

iwire

Staff member
Here is an example http://www.geindustrial.com/publibr...nstallation and Instruction|DEH-41399|generic

Forgive me if I cover what you know.

Because most of our loads are line to neutral the majority of the breakers we use are single pole. In certain cases the NEC requires a means to simultaneous disconnect a number of line to neutral circuits at the point of supply.

One way to accomplish that is the use of approved 'handle ties' connecting a number of single pole units together.

However these ties will not necessarily open all other poles if one circuit faults. For that a multipole breaker with 'internal common trip' is required

Last edited:

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Well, I can pretty much promise you that if you do install handle ties the circuits will be on opposite phases.:cool:

Agreed, I was just responding to the scenario that "kwired" had mentioned.

Thanks,
JAP.

Besoeker

Here is an example http://www.geindustrial.com/publibr...nstallation and Instruction|DEH-41399|generic

Forgive me if I cover what you know.

Because most of our loads are line to neutral the majority of the breakers we use are single pole. In certain cases the NEC requires a means to simultaneous disconnect a number of line to neutral circuits at the point of supply.

One way to accomplish that is the use of approved 'handle ties' connecting a number of single pole units together.

However these ties will not necessarily open all other poles if one circuit faults. For that a multipole breaker with 'internal common trip' is required
Thank you for your patience.
I have seen these, just not heard them called that. Actually, I don't recall ever hearing a name for them.

kwired

Electron manager
To me pulling 2 circuits on the same phase and 2 seperate neutrals does more than just complicate installing the handle tye,doesnt it also needlesssly load up the service neutral since the loads dont cancel out the return neutral current?

Agreed, I was just responding to the scenario that "kwired" had mentioned.

Thanks,
JAP.

I never said it was good design, but it is possible and code compliant if there is a handle tie. If they are on different phases it needs a tie anyway, but mostly because you want both circuits turned off simultaneously not because they are on different phases.

As a ignorant Brit (again) I have no idea what you guys mean by handle ties.
But I'm willing to be educated.

MWBC is probably not that common on your systems - especially on single phase with only two wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.