Hole drilling

Status
Not open for further replies.

svh19044

If you have the torque wrench, you probably have other M18 drills. I find my M18 impact driver to be much slower at drilling with a paddle bit than even my M12 drill. The idea is the same, though the driver has less power with more rpm, and vice versa with the wrench. Also, it's turning it in to a hammer drill, so paddle bits aren't really ideal anyway. And compared to a decent hammer drill, it has significantly less BPM. For example, the M18 SDS is rated at 4800BPM compared to the Impact wrenches 2200BPM.

I have the torque wrench also, and wouldn't bother with a chuck to turn it in to a drill. The weight and the awkwardness seems to limit comfortable extended drilling time.

Last edited:

B4T

I use a spade bit to drill out "cats'.. fire blocking.. or horizontal supports between studs..

There are many different names for the blocking the carpenters like to install right in the way of our switch boxes.. :rant:

The spade bit won't split the wood the way an auger bit in my hole hawg will..

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I don't like impacts for drilling holes. Some of the guys in our shop use those Dewalt hole cutters in the impacts to punch ko's but I don't get it. It's noisy, and that's what a drill is for?

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
1/2 Inch Compact Drill 1630-1 Milwaukee
Cat #:902-24 Greenlee
7/8" X 8-5/8 Nail Eater R/T? Auger Bit

I have used this on resi. for ~ 30yrs. hard to beat.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
They make an adapter for this cordless impact wrench which allows you to use spade bits. Any one try this for drilling studs?
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...-1&keyword=milwaukee 1/2 impact&storeId=10051

I don't see what the advantage would be. I used to be in the car repair business and own air powered impact wrenches and I don't think they would make good drills. Which is probably why I have never seen it done, we just buy drills. Also, you have to realize that the impact can deliver up to 450 ft lb of torque, enough to easily bust the shaft off a stuck spade bit.

I have used the cordless impacts for what they are designed for and even with short bursts the batteries discharge very quickly. That is by design, they are meant to deliver a huge amount of torque for short periods, not using for several seconds at a time. I think you would be much better off spending the money on a good cordless drill, a tool designed for the purpose.

Take note that the link is for the tool only. It appears the battery and charger are extra. Without the adapter, that puts the price around 200 bucks.

Last edited:
BTW, how many people use Forstner bits instead of spade bits? They have a shorter shaft for a given hole diameter and usually drill faster/straighter. I also suspect they use less power for the hole size. OTOH, they're not cheaper.

ritelec

have a shorter shaft for a given hole

:ashamed:

I use a right angle with nail biter for large framed jobs.
I've been using a ryobi cordless for a single hole here and there or driving screws.

I tried the cordless impact drills from two other manufacture on a job sight............man oh man..........loved them.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
BTW, how many people use Forstner bits instead of spade bits? They have a shorter shaft for a given hole diameter and usually drill faster/straighter. I also suspect they use less power for the hole size. OTOH, they're not cheaper.

I used them before. They make a nice hole, but like to get stuck. Especially when drilling downwards. And when they get stuck, they get STUCK!!! No way to get them out without removing all the wood particles from behind the bit to dislodge it.

B4T

Only when I am putting door hinges on a cabinet.. :lol:

A spade bit it what works best in nail free wood blocking..

renosteinke

OK .... I have a bit of an unusual approach to making holes. It differs in the details, rather than the basic way others use.

I'm a real convert to using an impact driver for drilling. To bore in wood, these bits are absolutely dyn-o-mite! when used with an impact driver:

http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/t...mpaignId=T9A&gclid=CI_en6bdpa4CFdOA7QodPTM4PQ

They'll get you to a 1-3/8 diameter hole. I've never had one twist or break. If they hit a nail,they just stop drilling. It usually takes several nail hits to make a noticeable difference in the drilling efficiency. BTW, I can use extensions without problem.

What about larger holes? You know, those you might consider 'hole hog' territory? Well, I just received Milwaukee's impact with the 7/16" Hex chuck. It's designed for these bits:

http://www.irwin.com/tools/drill-bits/speedbor-max-self-feed-wood-bits

I expect to be able to test this out in the next few days.

svh19044

OK .... I have a bit of an unusual approach to making holes. It differs in the details, rather than the basic way others use.

I'm a real convert to using an impact driver for drilling. To bore in wood, these bits are absolutely dyn-o-mite! when used with an impact driver:

http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/t...mpaignId=T9A&gclid=CI_en6bdpa4CFdOA7QodPTM4PQ

They'll get you to a 1-3/8 diameter hole. I've never had one twist or break. If they hit a nail,they just stop drilling. It usually takes several nail hits to make a noticeable difference in the drilling efficiency. BTW, I can use extensions without problem.

What about larger holes? You know, those you might consider 'hole hog' territory? Well, I just received Milwaukee's impact with the 7/16" Hex chuck. It's designed for these bits:

http://www.irwin.com/tools/drill-bits/speedbor-max-self-feed-wood-bits

I expect to be able to test this out in the next few days.

I use those bits as well...but the normal drill is faster. Having the impact is convenient, it's nice and compact, it CAN drill, but it doesn't drill as fast as drill only. I really wish Milwaukee would come out with a hybrid impact/drill like Makita has, in M18 and M12. I guess we will see what they do with the new FUEL lineup of brushless motors.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.