Emt support

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRI

Ok here is the deal, I have six 1900 boxes with 1" emt running between each. It is 36" between each box so I didn't use a strap on the emt between the boxes. The inspector failed the
inspection saying the conduit needs to be supported. I say no because it is not more than 36".....am I wrong?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I am almost 100% sure that if between boxes is more than 18" you need to have a strap. But i can't find a code article.

I am sure others will chime in.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Found it.
it was a 2008 code requirement 358.30(c). But it has been removed for 2011 NEC.

So, what code cycle are you on?

dkidd

Occupation
PE
Found it.
it was a 2008 code requirement 358.30(c). But it has been removed for 2011 NEC.

So, what code cycle are you on?

I asked Mike Holt about it a seminar of his I attended. Apparently he submitted a proposal, they mangled it, and it was retracted the next cycle. If anyone has the ROPs, would you please post them?

SC Bound

What it actually says is within 3' of each box, not at 3'. I believe the inspector was correct.
You could have put 1 strap between each box and been compliant.

So what would be the minimum then.....if it was 12" between boxes would I need to put a strap
there? I can see this going either way...bit it's not very clear at all.

ritelec

So what would be the minimum then.....if it was 12" between boxes would I need to put a strap
there? I can see this going either way...bit it's not very clear at all.

You would think 24" and under would be a nipple and have no need of a support.

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
There is no minimum. The code wording requires all conduit to be supported no matter how short it is. The rule that was submitted for the 2008 code would have permitted conduit up to 36" long to be installed without any supports. The code panel changed it to 18", but then it was removed in the 2011 code so we are back to how it was...all conduits need support.
For the ROPs and ROCs, go here, select the code year and then select "archived revision information".

ritelec

There is no minimum. The code wording requires all conduit to be supported no matter how short it is.

Not splitting hairs here...........but lets say you are using a 2" offset nipple. Any need for support?

Now lets say you use 2- 2" connectors and a piece of 2" emt about 5" long instead of the 2" offset nipple. Any need for support?

OK, maybe I'm splitting hairs but was wondering.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Not splitting hairs here...........but lets say you are using a 2" offset nipple. Any need for support?

Now lets say you use 2- 2" connectors and a piece of 2" emt about 5" long instead of the 2" offset nipple. Any need for support?

OK, maybe I'm splitting hairs but was wondering.
I am saying that the code wording requires some means of support, other than the conduit terminations, in both cases.

nhfire77

I am saying that the code wording requires some means of support, other than the conduit terminations, in both cases.

So an offset nipple requires support?

Ok I read it that way, but that's crazy.

I'm not comfortable with the idea that a 4" piece of emt would need support, seems..... Stupid and not a safety issue, IMO.

I'm not going to submit a proposal either, I'd rather just complain about this one.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
So an offset nipple requires support?

Ok I read it that way, but that's crazy.

I'm not comfortable with the idea that a 4" piece of emt would need support, seems..... Stupid and not a safety issue, IMO.

I'm not going to submit a proposal either, I'd rather just complain about this one.
The words are clear and the CMP has spoken, but in their comments they say that it is up to the AHJ. In my opinion they are totally wrong. The code needs to address this issue and the rule that was in the 2008 code was a step in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.