Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Horse Arena

Quote Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
    Dirt floor all the way. The only concrete is in the pedestals, about 4 x 4. I wish they had called before pouring pedestals, I could have gotten a ground wire to the rebar in them.

I don't think any water lines are there. I saw no faucets of any type. Only power is lights, receps every other column and lights/receps for a speaker's box.
    read 547.10(A)

If there is no concrete floor, no equipotential plane is necessary.

The primary reason a equipotential plane is necessary is because of the distance between legs of animals like horses or cattle. If there is voltage gradients in the floor they have a longer "base" as well as twice as many points of contact as people so they can stand there and span over a larger voltage gradient much easier than a person can. This has been known to cause production problems in dairy cows, and they are much more likely to have more electric powered equipment in their vicinity than many other animals usually have. Sometimes enough current flows that cows feel it and they will just stay away from certain areas because of that. Not good if the area happens to be a zone around a water tank that has a fault in it, they will just stay away from the tank and will suffer from lack of water because they feel the current before they even get close enough to think about taking a drink.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    read 547.10(A)

If there is no concrete floor, no equipotential plane is necessary.

The primary reason a equipotential plane is necessary is because of the distance between legs of animals like horses or cattle. If there is voltage gradients in the floor they have a longer "base" as well as twice as many points of contact as people so they can stand there and span over a larger voltage gradient much easier than a person can. This has been known to cause production problems in dairy cows, and they are much more likely to have more electric powered equipment in their vicinity than many other animals usually have. Sometimes enough current flows that cows feel it and they will just stay away from certain areas because of that. Not good if the area happens to be a zone around a water tank that has a fault in it, they will just stay away from the tank and will suffer from lack of water because they feel the current before they even get close enough to think about taking a drink.
    What has never been clear to me is this. It sounds like there is current in the ground or floor they walk on. Where is that current coming from? If all eqpmt is in good condition, wiring OK, where are they feeling the charge from?
    Yes, I'll be happy to do a first class job for less than anyone else and take a dollar a week for 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
    What has never been clear to me is this. It sounds like there is current in the ground or floor they walk on. Where is that current coming from? If all eqpmt is in good condition, wiring OK, where are they feeling the charge from?
    Remember that all grounded systems that interconnect in any way have a low impedance between each other through the bonding between them. Voltage drop on the multiple grounded neutral of the POCO primary distribution is a real common source of "stray voltages"

By creating an equipotential plane you are not eliminating these currents, you are just equalizing potential between points that can be touched at the same time. We do the same thing with bonding everything in and around swimming pools. While you are in the pool you may be sitting at a voltage above true ground, but everything within your reach is at same potential so you have no voltage differences which means no current flow through your body either.

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Think of the bird on a POCO wire. They are at the same potential as the wire so no shock occurs.
    Tom
    TBLO