Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Type TC CI DivII

  1. #1

    Type TC CI DivII

    We are working in a bio diesel plant that uses methanol in the process. The owners have declared the classified area to be from the floor up to 4'. They have requested a feeder in cable tray from the switchgear to a heater control panel that will be purged with plant air with an interlocking alarm in case of pressure drop. The cable tray is 10' above the floor but the bottom of the control panel is within the classified area. I plan on the TC to drop down from overhead into an IMC conduit nipple with a seal off at the cabinet and seperating the cables when I pour the seal instead of using a harzardous location cable terminating fitting. Has anyone done this before in this kind of location?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Texas by the Gulf, geat crab, great shrimp
    Posts
    5,407
    Quote Originally Posted by DonaldSparkyDog View Post
    We are working in a bio diesel plant that uses methanol in the process. The owners have declared the classified area to be from the floor up to 4'. They have requested a feeder in cable tray from the switchgear to a heater control panel that will be purged with plant air with an interlocking alarm in case of pressure drop. The cable tray is 10' above the floor but the bottom of the control panel is within the classified area. I plan on the TC to drop down from overhead into an IMC conduit nipple with a seal off at the cabinet and seperating the cables when I pour the seal instead of using a harzardous location cable terminating fitting. Has anyone done this before in this kind of location?
    A simple cable drop in tray/channel is sufficient, there is no need for conduit. Use a CGB to terminate the cable to the cabinet and it will sufficiently seal the cable not to loose to much of the purging air, your only concern. If you want to be extra conservative then inject caulk sealant in the interstices of the conductors on the inside of the purged cabinet where the jacket is terminated.

    The 4' area above the floor is Class I, Div. 2 and you are using NFPA 496 Class Z purging, correct?

  3. #3
    Thanks for the reply. The controls contractor is doing all the power and instrument cabinet wiring for the skids with branch wiring to motors and heaters, we will provide feeder circuits to a single point connection on fbo panel mounted disconnect switches. They have indicated there will be purging but I am not aware of which class.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Texas by the Gulf, geat crab, great shrimp
    Posts
    5,407
    Quote Originally Posted by DonaldSparkyDog View Post
    Thanks for the reply. The controls contractor is doing all the power and instrument cabinet wiring for the skids with branch wiring to motors and heaters, we will provide feeder circuits to a single point connection on fbo panel mounted disconnect switches. They have indicated there will be purging but I am not aware of which class.
    I think you should request a formal area classification documentation befoe you proceed with your installation.

  5. #5
    OK I will, but what does a "formal" document look like? I suppose a transmittal letter with the formal document would cma.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1
    You should be looking for an area classification plan. It will detail out where areas are classified.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Mission Viejo, CA
    Posts
    3,986
    Quote Originally Posted by DonaldSparkyDog View Post
    OK I will, but what does a "formal" document look like? I suppose a transmittal letter with the formal document would cma.
    Section 500.4(A) requires proper documentation. Both NFPA 497 and API RP-500 have appendices/annexes that outline the proper procedures for classifying and documenting.
    "Bob"
    Robert B. Alexander, P.E.
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think the NEC says, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what it means." (Corollary to Charlie's Rule)

  8. #8
    Thanks for the reply. I have notified management and will await an answer.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •