NMB with Isolated ground ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Do they make 12-2 or 14-2 nm-b with an isolated ground (2 grounds), and if so, what would it be called?

Thank you.

Rich

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
around here it's call 12/3 W/G (or 14/3 W/G) with the red re-identified :D

ritelec

Thanks augie47........

yeah, tape the red green (or srtip it and save on the tape),,, but would that be code?

Probably not.

Do they make nm with 2 grounds?

Or would you have to go with mc with the sheath being rated for ground?

Or is taping the red code compliant?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Thank you augie47.

I will be taking that as a no!

Thou shalt not tape the red wire green.

:thumbsup:

Perhaps I misread it.. I do that a lo....t, but, as long as it's part of a cbale assembly, it seems to me you can tape it.. the catch might be the "where conditions of maintenance ensure,,,,," partm

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I havn't looked it up in a while, but didn't they change that a couple of code cycles ago, where the tape was not acceptable on switch legs and such, that it had to be heatshrink or permanant marker to re-identify?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Assuming that the circuit originates at the service equipment and the box at the load end is non-metallic, there is no need for an "isolated" ground. The normal installation with NM that orginates at the service equipment and it terminated in non-metallic boxes provides the same benefit at an isolated ground circuit.

jumper

Assuming that the circuit originates at the service equipment and the box at the load end is non-metallic, there is no need for an "isolated" ground. The normal installation with NM that orginates at the service equipment and it terminated in non-metallic boxes provides the same benefit at an isolated ground circuit.

Yep. IGs in standard resi is a joke.

svh19044

Yep. IGs in standard resi is a joke.

...not if you have hifi/audiophile customers. Then again, nothing standard about them.

Last edited:

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I recently did one in a commercial bldg. that was about 3 sub panels away from the service. Tried to gently explain to the specifier that it was useless to feed it from the sub panel unless we had a separate insulated ground back to the service. They didn't want to hear it. See this a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.