Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Elevator starter burned?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Tujunga, CA
    Posts
    194

    Elevator starter burned?

    Hi, I recently provided 208v, 3-phase power to the elevator machine through its starter. Now the Elevator company (Shindler) blaming me that the starter is burned out because of our wiring. Nameplate of the starter calls, 200v, 240v, 460v what did I do wrong????? Please advise. Thank you

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,211
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwardtomas View Post
    Hi, I recently provided 208v, 3-phase power to the elevator machine through its starter. Now the Elevator company (Shindler) blaming me that the starter is burned out because of our wiring. Nameplate of the starter calls, 200v, 240v, 460v what did I do wrong????? Please advise. Thank you
    Yes, but which one of those voltages was the started configured for? Since the started is dumb, it doesn't hae the capablility to automatically adjust itself to a given choice of voltages. Was the starter configured for 460v and you applied 208?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    12,178
    Burned, how ??
    Coil was burned ?
    The nameplate voltages you list are probably correspond to the HP at each voltage.
    The coil voltage would not necessarily be evident from the nametag at all.
    Do you know the coil operating voltage and do you know the voltage you applied to the coil ?
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Tujunga, CA
    Posts
    194

    elevator starter burned

    I think the starter was set at 460 v but I powered 208v (it was 100A rated, 3-phase multi-voltage starter for the 35 HP 3-phase elevator) I may have to talk to technical support of the elevator company "privately"????

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Posts
    3,584
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwardtomas View Post
    I think the starter was set at 460 v but I powered 208v (it was 100A rated, 3-phase multi-voltage starter for the 35 HP 3-phase elevator) I may have to talk to technical support of the elevator company "privately"????
    35HP is not a standard motor size, but 40HP is over 100A FLC at 208V. You likely used too small of a motor starter, and given that you seem unclear on the concepts here, I'd say you were not qualified to do this sort of work. Sorry to be blunt, but that's just how I see it.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    "Dear future generations: Please accept our apologies. We were rolling drunk on petroleum."
    — Kilgore Trout (via Kurt Vonnegut)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    3,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwardtomas View Post
    Hi, I recently provided 208v, 3-phase power to the elevator machine through its starter. Now the Elevator company (Shindler) blaming me that the starter is burned out because of our wiring. Nameplate of the starter calls, 200v, 240v, 460v what did I do wrong????? Please advise. Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Jraef View Post
    I'd say you were not qualified to do this sort of work. Sorry to be blunt, but that's just how I see it.

    Qualified or not qualified I don't think the electrician should be blamed for a start up on the elevator.

    The elevator company should provide their own people do do any start-up and any internal straping or retaping of motors or tranformer coils. Most equipment comes with an installation and start-up manual and I seriously doubt if this was provided to the electrician.
    90% of doctors don't graduate in the top 10% of the class.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Portage, Indiana NEC: 2008
    Posts
    9,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwardtomas View Post
    Hi, I recently provided 208v, 3-phase power to the elevator machine through its starter. Now the Elevator company (Shindler) blaming me that the starter is burned out because of our wiring. Nameplate of the starter calls, 200v, 240v, 460v what did I do wrong????? Please advise. Thank you
    I agree with augie47, those voltages are NEMA motor voltage ratings except the 240 volt which should be 230 volts, I have never seen or heard of a starter coil with more then two voltage ratings and generally would look like this on the coil itself: 240/480vac or if it is allowed on 208 it would look like this 208-240/480 volts, you generally only find the coil voltage on the coil or the box the starter comes in, it would not be on the frame of the starter as the rating of the starter is placed there.

    Also dual voltage coils will have 4 terminals that you move jumpers to change the voltage, if you don't have these then you have a single voltage coil starter.

    My question is what part of the starter burned up, if it was the coil then it was over voltage or under voltage, under voltage will burn up a coil just as fast if not faster then over voltage just because if the coil can not pull in the plunger (armature) it will pull a high current beyond the rating of the coil.
    if it was the contacts then Jraef has it correct as the contacts are rated by the HP at the voltage rating of the motor to be controlled, but I disagree that its a starter you used as I would believe it would have been provided by the elevator company that would have been design around their motor and its HP and voltage rating.

    If it is a hydraulic operated elevator then you will have just a single motor starter, but if it is cable operated then you should have a reversing starter which is basically two contactors with a single overload block that are all mounted on a single frame with a mechanical interlock between the two to keep one from operating when the other is pulled in.

    I would question if the wrong voltage rating was given to the elevator company when it was spec'd, also I find it strange that you had to do any wiring after the elevator disconnect, as here the elevator company takes over from our disconnect and we do not touch any wiring of the elevator, as was said because of liability only the elevator company is allowed to do the wiring and start up of the elevator for it's commissioning, here in Indiana only a license elevator company can do this work because of the life safety issues that could arise if something were to go wrong.

    I will not even touch the wiring of a small home elevator, it's just not worth the cost of the liability if something was to fail even if it wasn't your fault, unless you are a certified elevator technician and have met the requirement of your state to work on elevators, never touch an elevators electrical controls, supply the required disconnect and let them take it from there.
    Last edited by hurk27; 07-13-13 at 12:51 AM.
    Wayne A. From: N.W.Indiana
    Be Fair, Be Safe
    Just don't be fairly safe

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Tujunga, CA
    Posts
    194

    burned elevator starter case

    Thank you hunk27 + ujea47
    I think your responds will be the most helpfull ones to .....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    48,188
    In my state electricians cannot wire or work on an elevator, my work stops at the disconnect in the machine room.

    Beyond that it is the elevator techs that handle it and even if it was shown I provided the wrong voltage it would be 100% the fault of the elevator techs for running the unit without them verifying correct voltage first.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    10,428
    Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post
    In my state electricians cannot wire or work on an elevator, my work stops at the disconnect in the machine room.


    And plumbers can't run PVC pipe in commercial building either.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •