Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elevator starter burned?

Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post
    In my state electricians cannot wire or work on an elevator, my work stops at the disconnect in the machine room.

Beyond that it is the elevator techs that handle it and even if it was shown I provided the wrong voltage it would be 100% the fault of the elevator techs for running the unit without them verifying correct voltage first.

It's the same here, we can't work on elevators.

If I were to run 208V 3 phase to a disconnect then I would label the disconnect with the voltage provided and that's it for me. I run whatever is shown on a drawing or provided on the work order.

I think that if an elevator company had the electrician doing more than that it would be wrong.
    "A sight for sore eyes to the blind would be awful magestic"---Wax Fang

Quote Originally Posted by peter d View Post

And plumbers can't run PVC pipe in commercial building either.
    I don't think ECs in RI or CT can wire elevators that carry people either.

Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post
    I don't think ECs in RI or CT can wire elevators that carry people either.
    Not doubting it's true, I just wasn't aware of that.

Innocenct -Elevator power hook up

Hi everybody again,
    About my case'

All I did here , just provided 208V, 3-phase power through a properly sized disc. switch & all wiring material according to elect. Engineer design/plan to the elevator machine , or all the way to the starter's in-coming lugs which are called T1, T@, & T3.

After that point elevator technition configured & installed wiring.......

Elevator rating was: 200V, 3-phase, 100A & the starter wired by technicians was for Delta configuration .
    I think they did not read the fat note or sticker on starter stating "Starter wired for Delta configuration, damaged could be done if power supply is other than Delta"

I think they have to configure wiring from starter to motor for in-line configuration.

Don't you all juries thing that I am innocent here.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardtomas View Post
    Hi everybody again,
    About my case'

All I did here , just provided 208V, 3-phase power through a properly sized disc. switch & all wiring material according to elect. Engineer design/plan to the elevator machine , or all the way to the starter's in-coming lugs which are called T1, T@, & T3.

After that point elevator technician configured & installed wiring.......

Elevator rating was: 200V, 3-phase, 100A & the starter wired by technicians was for Delta configuration .
    I think they did not read the fat note or sticker on starter stating "Starter wired for Delta configuration, damaged could be done if power supply is other than Delta"

I think they have to configure wiring from starter to motor for in-line configuration.

Don't you all juries thing that I am innocent here.
    A 200 volt rating is a NEMA rating for a motor on a 208 volt WYE system, there is no such thing as a 208 delta, I would believe this is the manufactures fault as I can't see how it can cause damage if wired on a WYE system and the fact that they supplied it rated for 208 volts which is a WYE system and one of the most common three phase voltages in the US.

A starter is nothing but a set of contacts how can you wire it delta or WYE? that just does not make any sense, some motors can be wired WYE or Delta but not a starter.

Here is a NEMA voltage chart, notice the listings for motors, a motor designed to run on 208 will have a 200 volt rating.

Wayne A. From: N.W.Indiana
    Be Fair, Be Safe
    Just don't be fairly safe