Just an Amusing Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
Got a call from a 50-something woman saying that her father (WWII vet) reports that for months the doorbell rings when he runs the hot water in the kitchen. He had someone come in to try to fix it, but all they did was tear up the walls and install a new bell, which rings the same as the old one. Finally had the son just disconnect the wire to the chime because he was tired of listening to it.

I go over last night and sure enough, about 1 minute of hot water and the chime rings (plunger stays activated and buzzing). I trace the old cloth covered bell wire and in about 5 minutes find it wedged in a tight spot between the 2" copper drain line and the wooden stud. Of course the heat had melted the insulation and when the pipe would expand from the heat, it would short the two wires (this was the switch loop).

This job isn't always boring.

Mark

kwired

Electron manager
Got a call from a 50-something woman saying that her father (WWII vet) reports that for months the doorbell rings when he runs the hot water in the kitchen. He had someone come in to try to fix it, but all they did was tear up the walls and install a new bell, which rings the same as the old one. Finally had the son just disconnect the wire to the chime because he was tired of listening to it.

I go over last night and sure enough, about 1 minute of hot water and the chime rings (plunger stays activated and buzzing). I trace the old cloth covered bell wire and in about 5 minutes find it wedged in a tight spot between the 2" copper drain line and the wooden stud. Of course the heat had melted the insulation and when the pipe would expand from the heat, it would short the two wires (this was the switch loop).

This job isn't always boring.

Mark

The most amusing part of this story is the melted insulation. Just how hot is his hot water?

CopperTone

A maintenance guy i know got a call from a crazy tenant once - the report was that little airplanes were flying out of the receptacle. The problem was - the airplanes were upside down as they flew out. The maintenenace guy went to the apt and turned the receptacle upside down and told them they should be all set now.

dhalleron

My doorbell used to ring at random times. One day my neighbor across the street figured out that when his doorbell rang at random sometimes he would see someone on my front porch.

Turns out we both had those wireless doorbell extenders for an extension bell in the basement. They were set to the same channel. I changed the channel on my doorbell and fixed the problem.

busman

Occupation
The most amusing part of this story is the melted insulation. Just how hot is his hot water?

I'm only guessing, but I think it was a combination of the heat first degrading the cloth sheathing on the old bell wire and then softening the old rubber insulation enough that the pressure from being pinched between the pipe and the wood caused the short. The water didn't seem all that warm, but 50 years is a long time.

Mark

busman

Occupation
A maintenance guy i know got a call from a crazy tenant once - the report was that little airplanes were flying out of the receptacle. The problem was - the airplanes were upside down as they flew out. The maintenenace guy went to the apt and turned the receptacle upside down and told them they should be all set now.

A whole new twist on the ground up/ground down debate. Now we have to consider the orientation of the planes flying out of the receptacle. Where will it end?

Mark

kwired

Electron manager
I'm only guessing, but I think it was a combination of the heat first degrading the cloth sheathing on the old bell wire and then softening the old rubber insulation enough that the pressure from being pinched between the pipe and the wood caused the short. The water didn't seem all that warm, but 50 years is a long time.

Mark

But i find it hard to believe the insulation was melted if it was only domestic hot water in the line, steam I would believe. Insulation pinched and deformed/displaced I also would believe.

Remote Controlled Ceiling Fan

Remote Controlled Ceiling Fan

My doorbell used to ring at random times. One day my neighbor across the street figured out that when his doorbell rang at random sometimes he would see someone on my front porch.

Turns out we both had those wireless doorbell extenders for an extension bell in the basement. They were set to the same channel. I changed the channel on my doorbell and fixed the problem.

I had a customer with a similar issue. His remote controlled ceiling fans on his porch would turn on and off automatically. He never could figure out why. It turns out that there was wildlife in the area (a bear, I think) with a radio tracking collar that had a similar frequency as the ceiling fan.

480sparky

I once spent a couple hourse tracing down a buzzing sound in an office. They called to say they could hear the wiring buzz every so often.

Ended up being a pager in a sack sitting on a shelf set to vibrate.

templdl

Yes, and I had a mother inlaw that has mental struggles. She would spray paint the outlets with silver. If you get a recall on the airplane issue take along some silver spray paint. You never know it may work. Just a little humor if you not real fussy this morning.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I once spent a couple hourse tracing down a buzzing sound in an office. They called to say they could hear the wiring buzz every so often.

Ended up being a pager in a sack sitting on a shelf set to vibrate.

Guy was telling me a similar story about the same thing at someones house, in the bath room. Finally opened up one of the drawers with the home owner standing there, only it wasn't a pager.:happyno:

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Guy was telling me a similar story about the same thing at someones house, in the bath room. Finally opened up one of the drawers with the home owner standing there, only it wasn't a pager.:happyno:

Oh...my. I'm guessing it would have been difficult to figure out who was more embarrassed. Or at least, if it had been me it sure would have.

Gac66610

i received a call last week "controllers for ceiling fan/light kits went out in two bedrooms during a storm" went to take a look HO took the switch out, my help (son) took his line man pliers held the feed to the switch leg, i went over pulled the chain on the light kit and walla lights came on

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Oh...my. I'm guessing it would have been difficult to figure out who was more embarrassed. Or at least, if it had been me it sure would have.

I tend to look at the funny side of things as it is. I don't know if I could have held the laughter in until I got back to the truck and if I could have I may not have been able to drive.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.