"Plastered" circuit breakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChuckO

I'm a home inspector, and I was recently inspecting a ten year old, 8,000 sq.ft. house that had 4 sub panels. Each and every circuit breaker (Siemens) had a hard, plaster-like substance filling the cavity(ies) on the lug end of the breaker. This substance appears to have been applied after installation of the circuit breakers. To me, this is a field modification of the circuit breakers and is suspect. Otherwise, the electrical and every other detail in this house appears to have been executed to the highest standard. Can any of you explain why these circuit breakers might have been altered in this way?

Thanks, Chuck

Attachments

• DSCF3894.jpg
    DSCF3894.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 2

TobyD

For whatever reason the white stuff comes already installed in the Siemens circuit breakers.The home inspector should have compared his finding against a known shelf stock item .I was curious so I looked at some of the shelf stock I have and they all contained the white filler.

Gac66610

I'm curious about that double wide breaker on the left, (not calling it a 2p breaker cause nothing tying hammers together), appears to have a white pigtail leading to the grounded bar, is it Arc or Ground fault breaker. If it is I don't see a Test button , been a long time since I used Siemens.
IMO - a well organized panel

cpinetree

Siemens surge

Siemens surge

I'm curious about that double wide breaker on the left, (not calling it a 2p breaker cause nothing tying hammers together), appears to have a white pigtail leading to the grounded bar, is it Arc or Ground fault breaker. If it is I don't see a Test button , been a long time since I used Siemens.
IMO - a well organized panel

That breaker is likely a QSA2020SPD http://www.sea.siemens.com/us/products/residential-electrical/product/surge-protection/pages/circuit-breaker-and-surge-protective-device.aspx

A surge that takes two spaces, but also has two single pole breaker spots.

svh19044

If you scrape all of that white stuff off, you will find a little screw. The white stuff is just some kind of insulating compound. It should be EXTREMELY hard, almost ceramic like.

If you look on a Square D or CH breaker, in the same spot, you will see a little sticker. Take the sticker off and you will find a little screw.

It's factory, there for a "reason", and should be of absolutely no concern. Over time, and with heat cycles, you will find that that compound starts to degrade in to a softer powder though. I have never seen it completely deteriorate to show the screw though, not saying it isn't possible, just haven't seen it.

svh19044

Actually, if you look on the Surge breaker, you will see the factory screw for the neutral has the same compound so that the screw can't be accessed and is now insulated.

ritelec

I'm a home inspector, and I was recently inspecting a ten year old, 8,000 sq.ft. house that had 4 sub panels. Each and every circuit breaker (Siemens) had a hard, plaster-like substance filling the cavity(ies) on the lug end of the breaker. This substance appears to have been applied after installation of the circuit breakers. To me, this is a field modification of the circuit breakers and is suspect. Otherwise, the electrical and every other detail in this house appears to have been executed to the highest standard. Can any of you explain why these circuit breakers might have been altered in this way?

Thanks, Chuck

Oh my.

Field modification? Suspect?

Too funny. Thanks Chuck! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.