Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: PLFA Cable fitting for metal boxes

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Westchester County, New York
    Posts
    8,169

    PLFA Cable fitting for metal boxes

    Hey guys, how are you?

    I find it hard to believe, but I have searched a large number of websites trying to determine what fittings are being used to install the PFLA nonmetallic cables to a metal box or enclosure.

    Can anyone show me a pic or direct me to a site that shows a fitting(s) permitted to be used for this type of installation? or tell me what fittings you guys may be using.

    Thanks
    Pierre
    Instructor, Industry Advocate

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts, New Hampshire border
    Posts
    1,589
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierre C Belarge View Post
    Hey guys, how are you?

    I find it hard to believe, but I have searched a large number of websites trying to determine what fittings are being used to install the PFLA nonmetallic cables to a metal box or enclosure.

    Can anyone show me a pic or direct me to a site that shows a fitting(s) permitted to be used for this type of installation? or tell me what fittings you guys may be using.

    Thanks
    Pierre

    Great question, there is no listed PLFA fitting that I am aware of. I found the 1997 edition of UL 514B (standard on fittings). It doesn't mention fire alarm or plfa. I'm guilty of using NM clamps in the past, but never now. Although rare, ground faults had been caused by those clamps.



    I guess if you want to enter a box or panel using PLFA without a complete raceway, it has to be:

    A. Through a stub, with listed fittings such as insulating bushing and a bang on bushing, to comply with the physical protection requirements of 760.

    or

    B. Use a listed KO insulating bushing.


    I guess this pic could be misleading if you assume those are NM clamps:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	611ecmCBfig3.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	8832

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Huntsville Alabama
    Posts
    2,018
    Since PLFA manufactures don't list any connectors aren't you pretty much free to use whatever will secure it to the box?

    I don't see why you couldn't use these.

    http://www.aifittings.com/products/spec-sheets/NM94.pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by masterinbama; 07-13-13 at 08:59 AM.
    Some people are like slinkies. They serve absolutely no useful purpose. But still put a smile on your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Westchester County, New York
    Posts
    8,169
    I agree that there are no listed fittings for PLFA cable. At least I could not find them in my search.

    Here is how I would try to follow some logic.

    PLFA cable is required by 760.130(B)(1) to use listed fittings.
    PLFA cable is nonmetallic.
    Hence a nonmetallic fitting such as the ones used for romex (they are listed for nonmetallic cables) could be used - especially with the absence of any specific listed fitting.

    But, fittings listed for AC cable or MC cable would not be suitable. They are designed for metallic sheath cables.

    * I wonder if the 'buttons' are suitable in regards to securing the small diameter cable to the box, as pullout strength of those may not be strong enough???
    Instructor, Industry Advocate

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    48,242
    I use plastic NM connectors and sleep well.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts, New Hampshire border
    Posts
    1,589
    Quote Originally Posted by masterinbama View Post
    Since PLFA manufactures don't list any connectors aren't you pretty much free to use whatever will secure it to the box?

    I don't see why you couldn't use these.

    http://www.aifittings.com/products/spec-sheets/NM94.pdf

    I agree with those as well.


    Why would pullout strength matter? Plfa isn't tested for it, you could argue only NM can pass through but it's not unsafe, IMO.
    Last edited by nhfire77; 07-13-13 at 10:47 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    10,428
    I am fine with plastic or metal NM connectors.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Westchester County, New York
    Posts
    8,169
    I appreciate the responses from you guys.

    One more question.

    Would any of you use any of the listed MC connectors as a means of securing PLFA cable to metal boxes?

    Thanks again.
    Instructor, Industry Advocate

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    48,242
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierre C Belarge View Post
    I appreciate the responses from you guys.

    One more question.

    Would any of you use any of the listed MC connectors as a means of securing PLFA cable to metal boxes?

    Thanks again.
    It depends, is it 3:00 PM on a Friday?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    10,428
    Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post
    It depends, is it 3:00 PM on a Friday?
    Good answer.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •