Tile guy says he does it all the time..

Status
Not open for further replies.

B4T

I am supplying deep old work boxes for the tile guy as per his request.. not the way I like to work.. :rant:

The truth is I have ZERO faith in this tile guy for one obvious reason..

He goes and looks at the job before I do the rough.. then tells the GC days later about hanging wires and using OW boxes..

I am going back tomorrow to unwire the original boxes..

If this guy was on top of his game.. he would of mentioned this before I did the rough wiring..

In case you forgot.. "he does it this way all the time".. :jawdrop:

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I am supplying deep old work boxes for the tile guy as per his request.. not the way I like to work.. :rant:

He goes and looks at the job before I do the rough.. then tells the GC days later about hanging wires and using OW boxes..

If this guy was on top of his game.. he would of mentioned this before I did the rough wiring..

a few years ago, a girl i was dating bought a brand new condo, and we did the walk thru,
and the plugs were level within 1 1/2" in a 10 x 12 kitchen.

so i made up a punch list, and sent it off to the builder. no close of escrow till yada, yada, yada
gets fixed...

and the electrical contractor called up, and asked what we expected him to do, the floor
wasn't level when he roughed in the kitchen..... and how was he going to fix it now?

and i said, either fix it, or pay us to fix it. don't care, your call.

he gave us $3,500 to go away. we did.

be careful. there might be someone like me out there....

in kitchens, i personally use 4SD bracket boxes, shot with a laser, screwed to the studs,
with a metal adjustable mud ring, with duct tape around it to prevent mortar binding,
so i can adjust it flush.

http://www.fraseroaks.com/

i've had an inspector reject a job for the ring being 1/4" below finish tile. you can use
plastic extension shields but.....

just my nickels worth.

Last edited:

ritelec

Wondering how that works........I know he'll do what he does with the boxes.......probably not a biggy....BUT..........

Would he now be wiring without a license, or would he be working for you under your license as an employee and you would have to "supervise" and you would be responsible (liable)
for his handy work ?

Every one including the GC the tiler and many here would say, just give the guy the box and let him throw them on.
Legally...........I wonder where that would leave you.

B4T

Wondering how that works........I know he'll do what he does with the boxes.......probably not a biggy....BUT..........

Would he now be wiring without a license, or would he be working for you under your license as an employee and you would have to "supervise" and you would be responsible (liable)
for his handy work ?

Every one including the GC the tiler and many here would say, just give the guy the box and let him throw them on.

I am leaving the boxes on the job so he can make sure they fit in the hole he is providing..

Making minor alterations with a Dremel is not my job.. :happyno::happyno:

ritelec

I am leaving the boxes on the job so he can make sure they fit in the hole he is providing..

Got you now. He's cutting the hole and pulling the wire through...your doing the wiring.

Occupation
Inspector
An option I would think about would be to rough and leave wire, then schedule time to be there when the tile is installed to mount and wire the boxes.

Being a One Man Shop I have a good deal of flexibility with my scheduling.

stickboy1375

You guys are making this so much harder than it has to be, shoot a level line, install boxes, if the owner wants them in the center of a tile, (for whatever reason I will never understand) then have that center presented to you before rough... enough said...

iwire

Staff member
You guys are making this so much harder than it has to be, shoot a level line, install boxes, if the owner wants them in the center of a tile, (for whatever reason I will never understand) then have that center presented to you before rough... enough said...

How the heck are we going to drag this thread out if you come along with a commonsense solution?

B4T

The tile guy doesn't want to work like that.. he wants F L E X I B I L I T Y.. :eek:hmy:

An electrical box nailed onto the side of a wood beam will always be more secure that one held in place with plastic clips..

But these guys know better.. :sleep::sleep::sleep:

stickboy1375

The tile guy doesn't want to work like that.. he wants F L E X I B I L I T Y.. :eek:hmy:

An electrical box nailed onto the side of a wood beam will always be more secure that one held in place with plastic clips..

There is no argument, ask for a center line and be done with it...

kwired

Electron manager
I don't like using cut in boxes on receps, especially often used ones like kitchen on c tops.

I'd shoot it down.

Bring the cables in from only one end, leave some slack, and let him r&r some drywall if he needs to adjust them up/down.

What if he wants to move them left or right?

for his handy work ?

Even if working for you as an employee he needs to be registered apprentice here to do electrical work.

Leave just one box that way he does not install them for you - he will have to move it from one hole to the next to test for fit.

I'd mount a box and let him cut around it. Otherwise I'd leave the wire in the wall and cut the box in myself.

Tile guys don't normally want them in center of a tile - it is easier to cut out from edge - even easier to cut from two edges if cutout is located in corner of tile.

Use fiberglass cut in box with metal clips - I like them better than plastic any time.

There is no argument, ask for a center line and be done with it...
Again Up - down may not be the only issue, sometimes left - right adjustments make it work or look better. Throw in some more complex layout with diamond insets or other detail and they get even more particular where receptacles are located.

Status
Not open for further replies.