Tile guy says he does it all the time..

Status
Not open for further replies.

renosteinke

Unless the guy is using some really thick tile, old work boxes ought to do.

What the tile guy is trying to do is to have the maximum amount of flexibility in laying out his tile pattern - then placing the boxes so that his cuts are simple. Considering the various gaps and other problems I've seen in tile jobs, I'm all for making the guy's job more 'idiot resistant.'

There's really no way to know exactly where the grout lines will be, and this is one area where 1/4" makes a big difference.

ritelec

This is what I am looking for tomorrow in HD.. :thumbsup:

With stand.

Let your fingers do the walking a bit (google) with the HD and Lowes....

See what they have and check out those manufactures and models.......

There are differences with the price and their capabilities.

You should be able to walk out with a level.........but as you know, you may be able to get a better bang for your buck if you did a little research.

2 cents.

i do high end homes the ac guy wants me to set cans so he can put his duct openings in line
the carpenter wants porches done before i rough in to make his job quicker and yes tile guy wants to leave boxes unatached but when i want something lad out like cabinets thats to much to ask,i told the job forman today doesnt any one else have a tape measure. i dont think you should lazer level because someone cant put floor level. unless paid for time

kwired

Electron manager
If you do let tile guy make final placement make sure your receptacles are close enough that he doesn't end up placing any of them too far apart to meet spacing requirements. Hate to have kitchen counter outlets that are 50 inches apart when you had planned for right at 48"

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
i dont think you should lazer level because someone cant put floor level. unless paid for time

Actually a properly set up laser would make the installation of the boxes faster and take less time.
cool.gif

ritelec

i dont think you should lazer level because someone cant put floor level. unless paid for time

Actually a properly set up laser would make the installation of the boxes faster and take less time.
cool.gif

Did I mention stand?

Adjustable legged tripod.
Came with the set up I got.

Thinking about the OP. Could always have whips coming out of the wall. Then go back and and install a surface mounted wiremold box......:roll:.

iwire

Staff member

Even if the floor is not level the cabinets will be installed level. So it is even more important to use a laser level, find the high spot and base the measurement from that high spot.

kwired

Electron manager
Even if the floor is not level the cabinets will be installed level. So it is even more important to use a laser level, find the high spot and base the measurement from that high spot.

That is if an experienced cabinet installer is involved. Some DIY just set them on floor and wonder why things don't fit right.

PEDRO ESCOVILLA

prior to working as an inspector, i did electrical, i wouldn't let anyone but my help touch my work after it was in place. my license, my permit, my insurance, hands off! id say no way jose, to the tile guy, do what you must

kwired

Electron manager
You could just be friendly and make arrangements that both you and tile guy are happy with. If you become a jerk it is more likely he will return the favor. He will have reasons for his requests as will you. Make a compromise that is acceptable to both. You also will not have as much trouble if you run into each other again on other projects. Too many tradesmen have the attitude that their work is the only important part of the project.

iwire

Staff member
That is if an experienced cabinet installer is involved. Some DIY just set them on floor and wonder why things don't fit right.

Not my problem to worry about others hack work, if my stuff goes in first it will be level.

On the other hand in an old bulding that is all out of whack I might choose to follow the building and not a level. For example horizontal wiremold or pipe on an old brick wall, I will follow the joint and ignore the level.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
On the other hand in an old bulding that is all out of whack I might choose to follow the building and not a level. For example horizontal wiremold or pipe on an old brick wall, I will follow the joint and ignore the level.

Every time!
I go with what looks good and that is not aways what my level says!

kwired

Electron manager
Not my problem to worry about others hack work, if my stuff goes in first it will be level.

So if your electric boxes are in first and not level why can't the tile guy follow what is already there?:lol:

ritelec

So if your electric boxes are in first and not level why can't the tile guy follow what is already there?:lol:

Yeah........put them in level and let him work them in... as if they've always been there. Tile guys do do existing baths and kitchens etc... right???

220/221

I don't like using cut in boxes on receps, especially often used ones like kitchen on c tops.

I'd shoot it down.

Bring the cables in from only one end, leave some slack, and let him r&r some drywall if he needs to adjust them up/down.

Status
Not open for further replies.