So why is it called a 3-way (or a 4-way)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

And, just to add some more food for thought.......

It is possible to use a 4-way switch as a 3-way switch by jumpering two terminals. What is the switch to be called now? Is it still a 4-way, or is it now a 3-way?

I'd probably call it a 4-way with a jumper on it.

But I wouldn't call it Johnson..:D

kwired

Electron manager
And, just to add some more food for thought.......

It is possible to use a 4-way switch as a 3-way switch by jumpering two terminals. What is the switch to be called now? Is it still a 4-way, or is it now a 3-way?

Think about that one again. No jumper is needed. Just don't use one of the terminals.

ritelec

Naw.....................lights count as one. 2 or 1000 on that switch leg........count as 1.

so 4 switches 1 light = 5 way.....................ha ha ha ha ha

ritelec

OK, 10,000 lights, 2 fans, and four switches = 7-way?

If the 4 switches are controlling the "10,000 lights and 2 fans" as one switch leg..........it's a 5 way.

?????

2 switches controlling 10,000 lights = 3 way system
3 switches controlling 10,000 lights = 4 way system
4 switches controlling 10,000 lights = 5 way system
5 switches controlling 10,000 lights = 6 way system etc...

What would you call a multi wire switch system of:
two switches controlling one light?
three switches controlling one light?
four switches controlling one light?
five switches controlling one light?

Tell me with all the things that are address in this business.......that has never been addressed?

Because of 2 switches and light being a 3 way...........3 switches and a light being a 4 way... I'm just figuring the light is included in the number.

Would make much more sense and I'm not trying to rewrite history.

But 2 switches controlling a light would be a 2 way (2 ways to turn on a light), 3 switches controlling a light would be a 3 way (3 ways to control a light)........... 10 switches controlling 10,000 lights would be a 10 way (10 ways to
control a light)

Now if there where 50...........that would be different. That would be 50 ways to leave your lover.

kwired

Electron manager
1709 posts and no end in sight!!!

:lol:

I stopped reading somewhere around 600, and not really sure why I read it for that long. It is dead to me other than occasionally checking the post count. Couple mods that I thought would surely shut it down back before 600 were still actively participating.

mivey

I stopped reading somewhere around 600, and not really sure why I read it for that long. It is dead to me other than occasionally checking the post count. Couple mods that I thought would surely shut it down back before 600 were still actively participating.
I guess they figure it is better to keep the crazies locked into one thread instead of spreading our infection over several threads.

broadgage

Here in the UK, a three terminal switch as would be used for controlling lamps from two positions is called a 2 way switch. More logical IMHO, as it has two positions, and is normally used to control lamps from two different positions such as the top and bottom of stairs.

A "three way switch" in UK terms is one with 4 terminals, one input and three outputs, not normally used for lighting control, but might be used for say a three speed motor.

To control lamps from three or more positions, a 2 way switch is used at each end of the circuit, with 4 terminal switches inbetween, these are known as "intermediate switches" if used for lighting control. The same design of switch used for other purposes, such reveresing the supply polarity to a DC motor would be called a reversing switch.

A one way switch is one with two terminals, for simple on/off control from a single position.

Non electricians sometimes refer to a 2 way or a 3 way switch, when what they mean is 2 or 3 electricaly independant switches on the same mounting plate. These in UK terms are correctly called 2 gang or 3 gang switches. Multi gang switches are allways 2 way/3terminal, but can be wired as 1 way/2 terminal. Intermediate or reversing switches are only manufactured as single switches AFAIK.

I would consider the UK terms to be more logical, though it is what I was brought up with.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
Why do we park in a driveway and drive in a parkway?

Because we do, not everything must have a obvious or explainable answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.