GFCI in unfinished basements

Status
Not open for further replies.

VIC1958

Trying to clarify 210.8 A (5), exception #2 to (5)...... "dedicated space, 2 appliances" etc. How does this relate to furnaces, sump pits. The plans are showing GFI on the two furnaces but no GFI on the sump and ejector pumps. I can understand that the furnaces are hardwired...but the pumps confuse me, (dedicated space, two appliances in a dedicated space). Thanks

stickboy1375

Trying to clarify 210.8 A (5), exception #2 to (5)...... "dedicated space, 2 appliances" etc. How does this relate to furnaces, sump pits. The plans are showing GFI on the two furnaces but no GFI on the sump and ejector pumps. I can understand that the furnaces are hardwired...but the pumps confuse me, (dedicated space, two appliances in a dedicated space). Thanks

It doesn't. :) The pumps require GFCI protection as well, if they are cord and plug connected. A good example of dedicated space for two appliances would be gas dryer and washing machine side by side... These appliances are not easily moved from one place to another.

Last edited:

hurk27

What code cycle are you on?

the 2008 NEC has removed those exceptions and 210.8 only applies to "Receptacle loads" not hard wired loads:
A) Dwelling Units. All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and
20-ampere receptacles installed in the locations specified in
(1) through (8) shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter
protection for personnel.
if your under the 2008 or 2011 you will be required to install GFCI protection for all "receptacles" in a basement except one for alarm panels.

ritelec

It doesn't. :) The pumps require GFCI protection as well, if they are cord and plug connected. A good example of dedicated space for two appliances would be gas dryer and washing machine side by side... These appliances are not easily moved from one place to another.

Thats great.........the hose on the washer breaks and the basement fills with water because the gfci on the sump pump tripped.

Is it not permissible to put the pump on a single receptacle?

ritelec

Frig.........freezer........???

hurk27

Thats great.........the hose on the washer breaks and the basement fills with water because the gfci on the sump pump tripped.

This sounds like another chorus for "Third Rock From The Sun":lol:

Nope not since the 2008 NEC
Buy quality GFCI receptacles and not those cheap ones from Menard's and this won't happen.

ritelec

Third Rock........funny show.

l:
Nope not since the 2008 NEC
Buy quality GFCI receptacles and not those cheap ones from Menard's and this won't happen.

I guess as long as the insurance adjuster is ok with it when/if he's knee deep in water.

stickboy1375

Nope.. Not even in the 2005, which as far as I know, only two states are still on the 2005, Connecticut, and Missouri.

cadpoint

Upsell and look even smarter even better.

I was frankly thinking of convenience and function!

Yours ideas sounds even better ...

ritelec

I was talking about the song;)

Thanks' for the link.............never heard it (well just did). Yeah, I could see how that could be in the song.

Where's any reference to a pick up truck or dog?

Little heavy on the drums.............(mainly the snare). Yep......listened again........who's to be shot? the mix engineer or the master engineer.

Back on topic (although I much prefer the music).

or maybe even a hard wired sump pump...

:thumbsup:

ritelec

Yeah, it is a situation with no easy and cheep solutions. :D

I think stickboy hit the nail on the head..........(which I was thinking about when I was in the shower after I posted)........

HARD WIRE IT.

ActionDave..........thank you for bringing the 240v option to my attention.

and thanks for the link iwire........:thumbsup:

ritelec

Just one more thought.......most pumps would be in the basement........plug it in to an extension chord and run that to the 1st floor.........:D

That would be to code right? If the chord ran thru the windows and not thru the floor???

svh19044

I have stopped recommending the battery backups, as I have seen too many bad batteries or just too long of a period where water kept flowing in to basements.

Since we have mostly all public water around here, I tell them to call the plumber and have a water powered pump installed. If I don't trust a product, I'm not going to install it. The water pumps are the most trustworthy/surefire sump pump out there (so long as the city water pressure is correct).

My backup sump pump which I wouldn't mind just being the normal one, is a Liberty SJ10. It out pumps my 120v sump, works when there is no power (no need to worry about the generator), and if I lose public water I've got bigger problems to worry about than my basement flooding.

iwire

Staff member
I think stickboy hit the nail on the head..........(which I was thinking about when I was in the shower after I posted)........

HARD WIRE IT.

You can't do that unless it is designed to be hard wired than you will have provide a disconnecting means.

Status
Not open for further replies.