Swimming Pool and OH service drop

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumper

Yes and no.

In most cases the NEC does not apply to service drops, the NESC that the utilities use may have rules against it.

680.8(A) seems to apply.

680.8 Overhead Conductor Clearances. Overhead conductors
shall meet the clearance requirements in this section.
Where a minimum clearance from the water level is given, the
measurement shall be taken from the maximum water level of
the specified body of water.

(A) Power. With respect to service drop conductors and
open overhead wiring, swimming pool and similar installations
shall comply with the minimum clearances given in
Table 680.8 and illustrated in Figure 680.8.

iwire

Staff member
680.8(A) seems to apply.

It seems to, and it does, every time they are privately owned and controlled service drops.

But most service drops are not privately owned and maintained, most are under the utility companies control.

90.2 Scope.

(B) Not Covered.
This Code does not cover the following:

(5) Installations under the exclusive control of an electric
utility where such installations

a. Consist of service drops or service laterals, and associated
metering, or

Service Drop. The overhead conductors between the utility
electric supply system and the service point.

In my opinion you would have to look to the NESC in most cases.

jumper

Phooey!:) MH agrees.

NEC Table 680.8 prohibits installing a pool (storable or permanent), outdoor spa, outdoor hot tub, or fountain under an existing service drop that isn't at least 22? ft above the maximum water level. This requirement does not apply to an electric utility installing utility-owned overhead service-drop conductors over a permanently installed pool, storable pool, outdoor spa, outdoor hot tub, or fountain, because the Code does not cover such an installation under the exclusive control of an electric utility [90.2(B)(5)].

http://ecmweb.com/nec/code-basics/pools-and-spas-090401/

iwire

Staff member

Ah, I know what MH says and I think you are only getting out of it what you want.

NEC Table 680.8 prohibits installing a pool (storable or permanent), outdoor spa, outdoor hot tub, or fountain under an existing service drop that isn't at least 22? ft above the maximum water level. This requirement does not apply to an electric utility installing utility-owned overhead service-drop conductors over a permanently installed pool, storable pool, outdoor spa, outdoor hot tub, or fountain, because the Code does not cover such an installation under the exclusive control of an electric utility [90.2(B)(5)].

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
I meant Phooey, MH agrees with you and I was wrong.

That is why I posted article.

Sorry I misunderstood, because on one hand he agrees with you as well. :)

My personal opinion is that this is at best a gray area and while I think the intent of 680.8 is a good one I also think it is in conflict with 90.2. :?:(

the blur

The problem around here, is the service drop always came first. Then the swimming pools come afterwards. Some above ground. Some below grade. The inspectors look for a gated fence around the pool, then sign off on them. Nothing else matters to the local AHJ.

The above ground pools definately do not meet any minimum clearance because the houses are only 2 stories. So about 20' plus the peak.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
If your state building code is an ICC doc then a sharp EI would apply IRC E4203.6. The IRC contains no language similiar to NEC 90.2(B)(5).

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I see it as you cannot build a pool under a power line that is not the appropriate distance above the pool. Now if the pool is there then the poco can do what they want and they can't make you move the pool. Basically who was there first.

iwire

Staff member
Is this
pool_powerline.jpg
a problem? :D

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Do all POCO's follow this, or is this only applicable within that 1 local?

NESC is for all POCO's. It used to be voluntary compliance, but is becoming more enforcable like the NEC is to electricians. I would hate to know my POCO didn't follow NESC and someone was injured by not meeting ANS C2, whether it be the public or an employee.

kwired

Electron manager
Is this
pool_powerline.jpg
a problem? :D

If it is not energized probably not:D

I think most POCO will avoid a drop over a pool - not sure what is in NESC but it may be addressed. I would sure think they would not put any primary lines over the pool.

Portable pools/ above ground pools that set up fairly easily - I won't even comment on. Many probably are put in without any permits or inspections in the first place.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
If it is not energized probably not:D

I think most POCO will avoid a drop over a pool - not sure what is in NESC but it may be addressed. I would sure think they would not put any primary lines over the pool.

It is specifically addressed. Rule 234 E "Clearances of wires, cables, or unguarded rigid live parts installed over or near swimming areas with no wind displacement" Figure 234-3 is the one shown in the link, and Table 234-3 is titled "Clearances of wires, conductors, cables, or unguarded rigid live parts installed over or near swimming pools".

There are several exceptions. The rule does not apply to a fully enclosed pool(solid or screened)
Spas are covered in a general clearance table 234-1. There are rules for skimmer pools, rescue pools, spas where installations are part of a building, free standing, etc.

These rules apply to primary cables also. 25 feet above the pool surface, 17 ft. over the diving board, 750 V up to 22 kV.

The drop in the picture, 22.5 ft. I expect the drop was there first. the owner put the pool under the drop. They will be upset at the POCO for not moving the wire for free.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.